Being involved in a semi truck accident is much different than being in an accident with another passenger vehicle. Not only do these commercial tractor trailers cause more serious injuries than passenger vehicle accidents, but any resulting personal injury claims can be much more complex.
Accidents involving trucks tend to occur on highways or in rural areas, with collision with another vehicle being one of the most common accident types. The following are 5 common causes of semi truck accidents in the U.S.:
Tractor trailer drivers can often travel hundreds or thousands of miles over a number of days. Although there are strict rules in place regulating how long drivers are permitted to drive without rest, many drivers don’t follow them because of pressures from their employers to deliver goods within a certain time frame. With little sleep, tractor trailer drivers can lose concentration while driving, or may even fall asleep behind the wheel.
Sometimes the cause of a semi truck accident is not the direct cause of driver neglect, but can be from improper loading of the trailer itself. Inexperienced loaders may load the trailer quickly, which results in improperly distributed weight. This mistake can lead to jack-knifing, rollovers, or the truck being difficult for the driver to maneuver.
Poor Truck Maintenance
Although commercial tractor trailer owners are required to maintain their vehicles, maintenance is sometimes overlooked due to the cost and time involved to properly maintain the truck. Improperly maintained systems like brakes, tires, or engines can lead to serious accidents.
Poor Weather Conditions
Inclement weather conditions like heavy snow, rain, ice, wind or fog can impact the driver’s ability to drive safely. Due to the weight of and slow stopping speeds of semi trucks, it’s easy for a driver who has not been properly trained to drive in these weather conditions to cause an accident.
Trucking companies will sometimes pay for new drivers to complete CDL training and then immediately put them behind the wheel of large and dangerous tractor trailers. While inexperienced drivers are appealing to trucking companies as they often charge less per mile than experienced drivers, they may not be entirely familiar with the vehicles they’ve been assigned to drive.
Do I Need a Semi Truck Accident Lawyer?
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a semi truck accident, you may wish to consult with a personal injury attorney who is familiar with these types of accidents. An experienced attorney will be familiar with all state and federal regulations for commercial truck drivers and will be able to identify any negligence by the driver or trucking company.
As multiple parties can be held responsible for any semi truck accident, it’s important to contact an experienced attorney for legal assistance as soon as possible after the accident. The attorneys at Cellino Law have decades of experience in dealing with complex semi truck accident cases. Call us at 888-888-8888 for a free and confidential consultation.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- Joe and I just wanted to send you this note thanking you for the professional way you handled our lawsuit. Your kindness was extremely appreciated in a very difficult time. When we found out the people that caused the accident had no insurance, we thought our chances of receiving any settlement was nonexistent. Once we met with you and released you were able to help us our minds were put at ease. Your aggressive manner of handling the case exceeded our expectations. Please feel free to use us as a reference. Thank you so much and best wishes,
Danielle and Joe
- We want to send a big "Thank you" from the both of us. We know you both fought for us and did a great job with our case. You did it in a timely manner and we appreciate it.
Kerrijo & Jerry
- I am writing this letter to say how much I appreciate your services pertaining to my case. Your injury attorney took a hands-on approach and left me fully informed at all times as to where my case was going as well as how much ground we had to cover; leaving the final decisions in my hands but making sure that I knew all of the risks involved in the choices. I have dealt with a few law firms in my life on various different cases and this is the first time that I never had to call and/or track down my lawyer… because of this, I have and will continue to recommend Cellino Law to my friends and associates.
- I highly recommend Cellino Law to anyone involved in a car crash. I worked with Michael Lovecchio, and had a wonderful experience given the circumstances. He was very attentive, and got the best possible outcome I could have wanted.
- I just want to let you know that I did receive my settlement check. More importantly, I want to thank you again for all you did for both me and my family. I could not be more pleased with my experience at Cellino Law. From the moment I first spoke with you I felt comfortable - you took a sincere interest in my case, clearly explained the process and effected a quick settlement. From this day forward, when someone asks if I can recommend a good lawyer I will, without hesitation, say "Cellino Law". Thanks again.
- My wife and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for a fantastic job as our attorney. We could not have been more pleased with the work you and your team has done on this case. This past four years or so has been such a roller coaster for our family. We are very pleased and grateful with the result. We have made a good choice by choosing you. Thank you.