Tractor-trailer accidents are among the most frightful collisions that can happen to a driver. They can be severe both in physical damage and the effects it has on a person’s life. Even in accidents that do not end in something as devastating as death, the consequences of a tractor-trailer accident can be long-lasting and result in enormous financial burden.
However, you do not have to face these challenges alone. The tractor-trailer attorneys at Cellino Law want to do all we can to help injured victims after an accident with a large truck. We can provide you with the crucial legal advice you require as well as the compassion and understanding you need.
You can contact our experienced New York tractor-trailer lawyers 24/7. Call us at 800-555-5555 for a free case evaluation.
How Are Tractor-Trailer and Car Accidents Different?
How truck accident claims develop differs from that of other motor vehicle accident cases. From a legal standpoint, there are factors specific to truck accidents that can complicate matters. Let’s consider some of them.
Truck weight and size
These are likely the most obvious factors that are different in a truck accident. A full-size commercial tractor-trailer can have a weight of as little as 10,000 pounds when it is empty. When full of cargo, it can be upward of 70,000 pounds. Consequently, the resulting destruction can be considerable. The increased scope of the accident calls for more physical evidence to be analyzed and processed correctly.
Trucking company liability
Many tractor-trailer drivers work for a trucking company. These trucking companies frequently employ or are legally assisted by attorneys. Therefore, the trucking company and the driver could immediately have the help and protection of a whole legal team.
The trucking industry is governed by federal regulations. When an accident involving a truck occurs, the records and reports connected to these regulations must be considered. The processing and analysis of this data can be complicated. It can be difficult to understand how to use this information legally to benefit your case.
What Can a Tractor-Trailer Attorney Do for You?
As discussed above, truck accident cases can be complex and problematic. However, with a knowledgeable tractor-trailer attorney in your corner, you can be confident that advantages to your case are not being overlooked.
Your lawyer can obtain and put in order the important evidence from your accident. We can speak, even forcefully when necessary, with insurance companies or other obstinate parties. A capable attorney can negotiate settlement offers on your behalf. If it becomes unavoidable, we can file your personal injury lawsuit.
After a truck accident, you may experience physical pain and emotional anxiety. During your recovery period, trying to tackle the intricacies of the legal system in order to receive just compensation could be difficult or even unbearable.
On the other hand, with an attorney working on your claim, you can concentrate on your health. You may even recover faster if you let your lawyer concentrate on getting you restitution.
Why Do Tractor-Trailer Accidents Occur?
Tractor-trailer accidents have much in common with other motor vehicle accidents. Often, they are the result of human negligence and error. Isolating the specific type of inattention can help in establishing who is at fault. Here are a few of the more common reasons truck accidents occur.
Often at the root of negligence, the driver may fail to take correct and appropriate action. Unsafe actions when driving, such as ignoring traffic signals and not yielding to traffic, can cause a collision. Additionally, hurrying to maintain a schedule can result in a truck driver failing to check the area around the truck adequately before changing lanes. The driver could negligently pass into the path of another car.
Commercial trucking companies make their money by getting their loads to their destinations on time. This formula creates the potential for drivers and companies to put more emphasis on speed than on safety.
This unbalanced priority to speed could result in speeding over the legal limit or, as in the case of New York, driving too fast for the weather conditions. Ice, snow, heavy rain, and intense winds are all dangerous in themselves, but even more so when a large tractor-trailer is going too fast.
Lack of sleep
Truck drivers who work long hours can become fatigued and drowsy. This could include working hours beyond the federally regulated limits or beyond their personal limitations.
Fatigued drivers who fall asleep at the wheel create very dangerous situations. They may realize that they lost consciousness for a moment and become startled. When startled, they could overcorrect a mistake and cause an accident.
Additional common causes of tractor-trailer accidents include:
- Driving when under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs
- Improperly loaded cargo or a load shift
- Distracted driving
- Truck cargo spillage
- Poor road maintenance
- Unsafe work zones
- Truck mechanical issues
- Inexperienced truck driver
Determining Liability Among Multiple Potential At-Fault Parties
The reasons listed above do not cover all the possible causes of a truck accident. Further, determining precisely who is at fault is not always straightforward and simple.
A personal injury case could involve obtaining compensation from multiple at-fault parties in the end. These could include the truck driver, the trucking company, or a contractor who loaded and secured the cargo. It could be that the manufacturer of parts used on the truck could be held liable for defective parts. With all of these varying factors in a truck accident case, it is imperative that you be assisted by a trustworthy and experienced legal team such as Cellino Law. We know how to investigate thoroughly, find evidence, and use it to determine who is genuinely at fault.
What Type of Restitution Can You Receive?
Once it is established who is legally liable for the crash, the legal team at Cellino Law can move toward attaining for you the maximum compensation you are entitled to receive. This could include restitution for the following:
- Medical expenses: These expenses could include costs that are immediate as well as future required medical needs resulting from the accident.
- Property loss: This compensation is connected to your valuables that were damaged in the accident.
- Lost wages: As you recover from your injuries, you may need to miss work for an extended period of time. It is possible that you may be unable to return to work entirely. In this case, you may be able to receive compensation for lost earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering: Tractor-trailer accidents can do more than cause only intense physical pain. They can also cause anxiety, stressful memories, insomnia, and depression. This misery may also qualify as compensatory damages.
Our New York Tractor-Trailer Lawyers Pursue What is Best for You
A truck accident is unquestionably terrible, but your seeking compensation does not need to be just as difficult. At Cellino Law, our New York lawyers are determined to see you get the restitution you need with as little stress as possible. Our experience can make a difference. Let us use our know-how and resources to protect your family’s interests after a truck accident, just as we have helped clients secure over $2 billion over the years.
Please contact a tractor-trailer accident attorney with Cellino Law for a free case evaluation. Call us at 800-555-5555.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- I really just wanted to say thank you so much for taking my case, answering all my questions, and mostly for being very patient with me. I feel that without you and Roza I would not have been able to get anything at all. I hope to never need a lawyer again, but if I do I will definitely want you both working for me. Again thank your for you hard work, time and patience.
- Cellino Law was a great company to work with. From the beginning they came out and met with my uncle and myself and assured us that everything would be taken care of from beginning to end our lawyer state and constant contact with us to make sure that everything would go smoothly and it did. I would definitely recommend anybody to go to Cellino Law for whatever help they need. And specifically please ask for the lawyer that we had Mr. Alan Silverstein. He was amazing and his staff was always attentive. Please go with them for your next law needs.
- Thank you for your help in settling the case of my father's accident. I could always count on you to answer my questions honestly and in terms I could understand. If all lawyers at Cellino Law are like you, I understand why they are an A-1 law firm.
- I want to thank your law firm for settling my lawsuit where others failed. You treated me with the utmost respect and care, because of your law firm the dream of owning my own home finally came true. For the first time in a long time, we're living out our dream home. Thank you a million times over. Thank you for making my dream come true.
- I just want to let you know that I did receive my settlement check. More importantly, I want to thank you again for all you did for both me and my family. I could not be more pleased with my experience at Cellino Law. From the moment I first spoke with you I felt comfortable - you took a sincere interest in my case, clearly explained the process and effected a quick settlement. From this day forward, when someone asks if I can recommend a good lawyer I will, without hesitation, say "Cellino Law". Thanks again.
- Thank you for your time, effort, and hard work on my case. I appreciate your expertise and compassion. I never experienced what I went through and I would have been completely lost without you.