Slippery roads, limited visibility, and snow can turn a peaceful winter drive into a risky journey, possibly resulting in a serious car accident. Sadly, car accidents caused by adverse weather – such as snowfall – can be life-altering or even fatal.
If you were involved in a car accident, you need reliable legal guidance on how to protect your rights and seek compensation. The following points can help you find the right accident lawyer to help you navigate the aftermath of a weather-related crash.
After a snow-related auto accident, don’t navigate the legal landscape alone. Let the seasoned attorneys of Cellino Law guide you through the legal process. Call us at (888) 888-8888 to schedule a free consultation or complete our online form.
A Manhattan Lawyer Can Help You Navigate New York’s Liability Laws
New York follows a “no-fault insurance system,” meant to streamline the process of insurance claims following a car accident. This system makes it possible for victims to receive compensation for medical expenses and certain other damages.
Under this system, each driver’s insurance company is responsible for covering the policyholder’s medical expenses and property damage – and that of any passengers – regardless of who was at fault. This means that even if the other driver caused the accident due to poor weather conditions or negligence, your insurance may still cover your costs.
However, one of the trade-offs in a no-fault system is the limited right to sue. In New York, victims generally cannot pursue a third-party lawsuit unless their economic damages exceed their no-fault insurance benefits.
Neither can car accident victims sue for non-economic damages (such as pain and suffering). The only exception is if the injured party sustains a “serious injury,” as defined by New York Insurance Law. This threshold includes injuries that result in significant disfigurement, bone fractures, permanent limitations, or significant limitations of use of a body organ or function.
After a snow-related auto accident occurs, you should speak with a personal injury lawyer. He or she can help you determine whether your claim meets New York’s liability thresholds.
An Experienced Manhattan Attorney Can Help You Get the Compensation You Deserve
If your damages exceed New York’s thresholds and a settlement cannot be reached through negotiation, taking your accident claim to court may be necessary. The following are just a few reasons why you should consider hiring an experienced personal injury attorney to handle your claim and potential court case.
Investigation and evidence gathering
After a snow-related auto accident, proving negligence is a burden pinned on you, as the plaintiff in the legal case you will file. You would thus do well to hire a personal injury lawyer who can thoroughly investigate the accident.
Your legal team can collect the necessary evidence, such as:
- Witness statements
- Police reports
- Camera footage
- Medical records
Additionally, experienced lawyers can access resources like accident reconstructionists or other experts. These witnesses can analyze your accident and provide testimony to support your claim.
Building a strong case
To successfully pursue a claim for a snow-related auto accident, your case should clearly demonstrate liability by the other party involved in the incident. A knowledgeable attorney can analyze the facts of your case and build a compelling argument to support your claim.
If your case must go to court, you need a lawyer by your side who can navigate the litigation process and present a persuasive case on your behalf. This will make the process much easier for you.
Maximizing your compensation
Auto accident lawyers know how to seek maximum compensation for their clients. They understand what damages victims may be entitled to based on factors such as:
The right auto accident lawyer can be a knowledgeable ally, combining legal prowess with a nuanced comprehension of local law.
How to Choose the Right Snow-Related Auto Accident Lawyer
When choosing an auto accident lawyer to handle your claim, remember these helpful tips:
- Your Manhattan personal injury lawyer should be experienced in handling weather-related accident cases. Experience matters when it comes to finding a lawyer. The one you choose should have a strong track record of success in handling cases like yours. He or she should clearly understand and explain the unique challenges and legal nuances of weather-related accident cases.
- Consider the reputation and credibility of the lawyer or law firm. Look for client testimonials and reviews that speak to a firm’s professionalism. You should also look for reviews about the firm’s responsiveness to their clients’ needs.
- Find a lawyer who prioritizes good communication. You deserve a lawyer who will keep you informed throughout the process and promptly respond to any questions or concerns that may arise.
- Trust your instincts when choosing a firm to handle your case. You should feel comfortable with your legal team and confident in their abilities. Initial consultations can help you gauge this compatibility. Remember to take time before making your final decision.
Choosing the right snow-related auto accident lawyer can make all the difference in your case. If you are seeking compensation for the damages you sustained during a winter accident, do not delay in contacting a skilled lawyer. Every second counts when pursuing justice.
The Causes of Snowy Weather Auto Accidents
Whether or not your case is to be pursued in court, your legal team will consider the circumstances surrounding the accident.
If the weather is adverse and road conditions are poor, driving in snowy weather is especially challenging. So determining the cause of the accident and identifying the driver who contributed to it is essential.
The following factors may be considered when building your claim.
Falling snow can make it difficult for drivers to see clearly, especially when combined with fog or low-light conditions. Limited visibility can make it harder for drivers to spot hazards on the road and react in time.
Slippery roads due to snow or slush make it difficult for vehicles to stop or maneuver. Low traction increases the likelihood of skidding or losing control.
Black ice is a common hazard in wintery weather. It is virtually invisible but highly slippery. Drivers may unknowingly encounter black ice and suddenly lose traction, resulting in accidents.
Some people underestimate the impact of snowy conditions on their ability to drive safely. Often, drivers may fail to adjust their speed and behavior. Others may overcorrect when losing traction in a panic.
Newer or younger drivers are especially at risk. This is because they may not have enough experience to handle their vehicles in low-traction circumstances.
Our Manhattan, NY Auto Accident Lawyers Are Ready to Help
The aftermath of weather-related accidents can be overwhelming, and navigating the complex legal process alone is inadvisable. If you were hurt in a snow-related auto accident, you should seek legal assistance as soon as possible.
At Cellino Law, our team of experienced auto accident lawyers is ready to help you fight for the compensation you deserve. From the moment you reach out to us for a free consultation until the resolution of your case, we can stand by your side every step of the way.
When you hire us, we will work tirelessly:
- Gathering evidence
- Assessing liability
- Negotiating with insurance companies
- Advocating for your rights throughout the entire process
Let our New York auto accident lawyers help you seek justice after a winter auto collision. Contact us today at (888) 888-8888 to schedule a free consultation. You can also complete our online contact form to get started.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- This letter is to thank Ms. Diane D’Andrea, assistant to Mr. George Gridelli, Attny for all the hard work, dedication, and attentiveness she showed during the representation of my case. She was always cheerful and ready to help in whatever way she could. All messages left for Mr. Gridelli were always relayed and Mr. Gridelli always promptly returned our calls. She was a very competent assistant. Cellino Law has proven to be a model of what legal representation should be. Throughout the 6 ½ years of this case, I have heard many horror stories from people with “bad lawyer stories.” We consider ourselves to be very lucky to have chosen Cellino Law and will always recommend you to those looking for good, honest representation with a personal touch.
- Cellino Law is an amazing firm with a great team. I worked with Greg Pajak and his assistant, Tracey Falconer. I cannot express enough how dedicated they are. The personal attention I received was excellent; they were always available to help with questions and concerns and put me at ease in the unknown territory I found myself in. I highly recommend them to anyone needing representation. A huge thank you to them for all they accomplished for me!
- I am writing this letter to say how much I appreciate your services pertaining to my case. Your injury attorney took a hands-on approach and left me fully informed at all times as to where my case was going as well as how much ground we had to cover; leaving the final decisions in my hands but making sure that I knew all of the risks involved in the choices. I have dealt with a few law firms in my life on various different cases and this is the first time that I never had to call and/or track down my lawyer… because of this, I have and will continue to recommend Cellino Law to my friends and associates.
- Cellino Law and more specifically my attorney, Gregory V. Pajak, Managing Attorney, and as a whole the Cellino Law Firm and its organization. This is by far one of the most professional law firms and attorney I have ever engaged with and retained in my 35 years. The level of professionalism goes beyond words, the care and constant engagement with me as the client was touching. I was never ever just treated as simply a CASE with potentially a significant dollar number attached to my file. I was engaged regularly, Tracey (Ass’t) and Greg always made sure to remain constant, as well as consistent in overseeing that my case was handled properly and that it did matter in many ways - ensuring that the end result(s) would be fair and reasonable to my case/injury. The regular follow-up calls were very satisfying, knowing that you’re involved in your case matters significantly AND always. One of my main items to recognize Cellino Law and Gregory is that whenever I called, I was able to get through to speak directly to my Lawyer and he would answer any if not all of my questions in a very professional and genuinely caring manner. I always felt cared for and protected legally and more importantly, I was made feel as a human being that was being cared for and always keeping me abreast of all matters connected to the case. There was never a point I felt let down, on the contrary -the level of service was “STELLAR”. Greg is the consummate professional, a ‘role model’, if you will, for what other attorneys should strive to become when dealing with their clients.
- I am writing to let you know what an outstanding job George Gridelli did for me in my personal injury lawsuit. His professionalism and expertise were evident at our first metting and he and his paralegal Diane D'Andrea took care of me as if I was a friend and not merely a client. They both went above and beyond for me in so many ways that it would be too numerous to list and I am grateful to have had such an exemplary team represent me. When working with George and watching him in court he personified to me what a lawyer is supposed to be - an honest, extremely compentent man who helped guide me through the legal system. I could not have obtained better representation anywhere else at any price. To me that says a lot abut you and your firm's integrity. Thank you again for representing me and for having such stellar individuals working for you! I will continue to recommend your firm.
- Thank you for your help in settling the case of my father's accident. I could always count on you to answer my questions honestly and in terms I could understand. If all lawyers at Cellino Law are like you, I understand why they are an A-1 law firm.