Unlike motor vehicle accidents, airplane and helicopter accidents are incredibly rare. For this reason, aviation accidents are a specialized area of personal injury law and few law firms handle these types of cases. Whether you were involved in a commercial or private plane crash in Manhattan, aviation claims can be highly technical and result in millions of dollars in losses.
At Cellino Law, our lawyers have an outstanding record of aviation litigation. We have the experience, resources, and industry knowledge needed to successfully handle even the most complex of these cases for our clients. If you or a loved one suffered catastrophic injuries or losses in a plane or helicopter crash, contact our law firm today.
During your free case consultation, our personal injury lawyers can help you determine whether negligence played a role in your losses. The skilled lawyers at Cellino Law have helped clients recover over $2 billion in damages, and we can help you too. Contact a member of our legal team 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, by calling (800) 555-5555.
Types of Manhattan Aviation Accidents
The New York City skyway is almost as congested as its roadways, with over 30 million passengers flying out of LaGuardia each year, 31 million flying out of JFK, and a whopping 45 million flying out of Newark Liberty international annually – not to mention the multitude of smaller aircraft flying in and around NYC.
In addition to planes flying into the major airports around Manhattan, you’re bound to see a helicopter flying around the city at most given times of day or night. These might be private business helicopters, medical emergency helicopters, sightseeing tours, law-enforcement operations, or other types of transport helicopters.
While the majority of aircraft accidents involve small-privately owned planes, our law firm handles all types of aviation disasters, involving:
- Charter planes
- Commercial airlines
- International airlines
- Private jets
- Commuter planes
What Are Common Causes of Aviation Accidents?
Aviation accidents may take place for any number of different reasons, including human error, inclement weather, and defective devices. Cellino Law’s Manhattan aviation accident attorneys will be able to identify the potentially liable parties and fight to hold them accountable for their negligence.
Nearly half of all aviation accidents are a result of pilot error. Pilots have an extremely complex and challenging job; a single miscalculation can lead to a catastrophic accident. Every pilot should have the necessary licenses and training needed to operate the aircraft.
Examples of pilot errors that can result in a crash include misreading gauges, miscalculations, improper mapping out of the flight, failure to follow Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations, fatigue, lack of experience, or the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Severe weather conditions increase the risk of an aviation accident occurring. Most weather-related airplane accidents occur during take-off or landing. Fog, snow, heavy rainstorms, and strong winds can affect the visibility and maneuverability of an aircraft. A build-up of slush or ice can prevent planes from reaching take-off speed, and there have even been incidents of aircraft skidding off the runway while trying to land during winter storms.
Mechanical failure or defect
Improvements are constantly being made in aircraft design and manufacturing. However, equipment and mechanical failures still account for a large percentage of airplane accidents. Negligence that can lead to a mechanical function includes inadequate maintenance, poor design or manufacturing, defective assembly or installation, improper quality control measures, and other issues.
Air traffic controller error
Pilots aren’t the only ones responsible for the safety of an aircraft. The pilot relies on support from ground control to relay critical information such as weather conditions, fuel supply, and the scheduling of takeoffs and landings.
Human error may result in a lack of communication or the air controller giving the wrong information. Even a slight mistake could result in an aviation accident.
Who Can Be Held Liable for a Manhattan Aviation Accident?
Numerous parties may be held liable for injuries and deaths related to a helicopter accident, airplane crash, or other aviation accident. Establishing liability after an aircraft accident can be an extremely difficult and complex process. However, the aviation accident attorneys at Cellino Law have built trust and solid relationships with experts who specialize in investigating aviation accidents.
It is the duty of all airlines to protect their passengers. This includes ensuring all the aircraft in each fleet are properly maintained and thoroughly vetting every single one of their employees before hiring them. When mistakes made by pilots, flight attendants, or other crew members are to blame for an aviation accident, the airline can typically be held liable for damages.
Pilots have an obligation to operate aircraft in a safe and reasonable manner. If they fail to meet that duty of care or don’t have the proper licenses and certificates for the aircraft they are flying, they can be held liable when an airplane accident occurs.
If a poorly designed plane or defective part was the cause of the airplane accident, then the manufacturer could be held liable. For example, improper testing of a part or feature before adding it to the aircraft is called “strict liability” and applies to aviation materials as well as most other manufactured products.
Airports are also responsible for the safety of passengers and can be held liable if employee negligence played a role in the aviation accident and resulting injuries. Examples include failure to properly screen passengers at security or arrange the safe transfer of passengers from the terminal to the aircraft.
Air traffic controllers
Air traffic controllers have a high-pressure job, and even a slight miscalculation or error in communication can lead to an aviation accident. Catastrophic errors may include mistiming a takeoff or landing, directing an airplane into a space that is already occupied by another aircraft, or failing to clear a runway.
Should Manhattan Airplane Accident Victims Settle With the Insurance Company?
Airlines and their insurance companies have attorneys and other highly skilled professionals representing their best interests following a commercial airline accident. Oftentimes, personal injury victims may feel tempted to avoid litigation and quickly accept the first amount the insurance companies offer them. Unfortunately, this doesn’t usually work out for the best interests of victims and their families.
You don’t want to end up with less than what you truly deserve. Rather, you should speak to a Manhattan aviation accident attorney before settling with the airline’s insurance company. Personal injury lawyers can provide victims with legal advice and they know how to accurately calculate what your aviation accident claim is worth. In addition, aviation lawyers are paid a percentage of what their clients are awarded so their financial interests align with their clients.
What Financial Compensation is Available for Airplane Accident Victims?
At Cellino Law, we understand that no amount of money can compensate for the trauma and injuries suffered as a result of an airplane accident. However, a monetary settlement can take some of the financial pressure off of you and your family and you strive to move forward with your lives.
A Manhattan aviation lawyer may be able to help you recover fair compensation for losses such as:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost income and loss of future earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Lifetime healthcare for permanent, disabling, or disfiguring injuries
Can You File a Lawsuit If Your Loved One Died in an Airplane Crash?
If your family member passed away in an aviation accident, then a personal injury lawyer may be able to help you file a wrongful death claim. Wrongful death benefits are often awarded to cover funeral and burial expenses and to compensate for the loss of love, guidance, companionship, consortium, and household services.
How Long Does It Take to Settle an Aviation Lawsuit?
Due to the complex nature of airplane accident cases, it often takes many months before definitive conclusions about the cause of the accident are reached. In certain situations, a case may settle in just a few months, but it could take 2 years or more for others. Whatever it takes to get you maximum compensation is best.
The good news is that your pending case should not take up much of your personal time. As you await a settlement, your airplane accident attorneys will conduct the investigation, gather the evidence, perform the legal research, and file the lawsuit. All the while, we will keep you informed on our progress and your current settlement offers.
Contact Our Award-Winning Law Firm
If you or a loved one has suffered serious injuries in an aviation accident, contact the trusted airplane accident attorneys at our law firm today. Cellino Law represents the victims and families of those hurt or killed in aircraft accidents. We work diligently to ensure that our clients are fairly compensated for the trauma they experienced as a result of the airplane or helicopter crash.
We understand that as an aviation accident victim you have survived a traumatic, life-altering experience. Our compassionate attorneys care about our clients and are eager to make a difference in their lives. When you choose us to represent you, you have access to knowledgeable legal professionals who will use their experience and resources to pursue your best interests.
Schedule your free case review with a Cellino Law aviation accident attorney today. Call (800) 555-5555 any time, day or night. We have law firm representatives standing by 24/7.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- Cellino Law and more specifically my attorney, Gregory V. Pajak, Managing Attorney, and as a whole the Cellino Law Firm and its organization. This is by far one of the most professional law firms and attorney I have ever engaged with and retained in my 35 years. The level of professionalism goes beyond words, the care and constant engagement with me as the client was touching. I was never ever just treated as simply a CASE with potentially a significant dollar number attached to my file. I was engaged regularly, Tracey (Ass’t) and Greg always made sure to remain constant, as well as consistent in overseeing that my case was handled properly and that it did matter in many ways - ensuring that the end result(s) would be fair and reasonable to my case/injury. The regular follow-up calls were very satisfying, knowing that you’re involved in your case matters significantly AND always. One of my main items to recognize Cellino Law and Gregory is that whenever I called, I was able to get through to speak directly to my Lawyer and he would answer any if not all of my questions in a very professional and genuinely caring manner. I always felt cared for and protected legally and more importantly, I was made feel as a human being that was being cared for and always keeping me abreast of all matters connected to the case. There was never a point I felt let down, on the contrary -the level of service was “STELLAR”. Greg is the consummate professional, a ‘role model’, if you will, for what other attorneys should strive to become when dealing with their clients.
- I really just wanted to say thank you so much for taking my case, answering all my questions, and mostly for being very patient with me. I feel that without you and Roza I would not have been able to get anything at all. I hope to never need a lawyer again, but if I do I will definitely want you both working for me. Again thank your for you hard work, time and patience.
- I am writing to let you know what an outstanding job George Gridelli did for me in my personal injury lawsuit. His professionalism and expertise were evident at our first metting and he and his paralegal Diane D'Andrea took care of me as if I was a friend and not merely a client. They both went above and beyond for me in so many ways that it would be too numerous to list and I am grateful to have had such an exemplary team represent me. When working with George and watching him in court he personified to me what a lawyer is supposed to be - an honest, extremely compentent man who helped guide me through the legal system. I could not have obtained better representation anywhere else at any price. To me that says a lot abut you and your firm's integrity. Thank you again for representing me and for having such stellar individuals working for you! I will continue to recommend your firm.
- We'd like to thank you for all the assistance and time you spent on our case. Your professionalism and honesty will always be appreciated. The staff was always courteous and we were always impressed with your accountability. Your passion and dedication will never be forgotten, nor will you.
- I really appreciated your determination and efforts on handling my case. You have done an outstanding job, and I am very satisfied with the outcome of the settlement. Thank you so so much John.
- Joe and I just wanted to send you this note thanking you for the professional way you handled our lawsuit. Your kindness was extremely appreciated in a very difficult time. When we found out the people that caused the accident had no insurance, we thought our chances of receiving any settlement was nonexistent. Once we met with you and released you were able to help us our minds were put at ease. Your aggressive manner of handling the case exceeded our expectations. Please feel free to use us as a reference. Thank you so much and best wishes,
Danielle and Joe