Slip and fall cases are challenging to prove as the injured plaintiff has to prove that the property owner knew about the hazard that caused the accident. A property owner may claim not to know the hazard because he or she does not want to compensate the injured plaintiff.
If you choose to represent yourself, you may find it hard to prove that the property owner knew about the hazard as you don’t have the experience and knowledge required to do this. This can hurt your chances of getting fair compensation as you have to prove this knowledge to win your slip and fall injury claim. It is also not a good idea to represent yourself as you need to take your time to recover from the accident.
It is wise to work with an experienced and skilled Huntington slip and fall lawyer to increase your chances of getting the compensation you deserve. Our lawyers have the experience, skills, and knowledge to handle cases like yours. While we handle the legal process of your claim you can relax and take time to recover from your injuries.
If you need help after a slip and fall injury contact our highly skilled personal injury attorneys in Huntington. Our attorneys understand that a strong case depends on strong evidence. That is why they usually try as much as possible to gather strong evidence to help our clients recover compensation. We will start by gathering irrefutable evidence and combine it with testimony given by witnesses and professionals.
We will talk to the insurance company or property owner on your behalf to negotiate your slip and fall case. Before the negotiations begin, it is good to have strong evidence as this offers excellent leverage and increases the chances of getting fair compensation. So, if the property owner or insurance company offers less money than you deserve, we will take your slip and fall case to trial to help you get the compensation you deserve.
What Should I do After a Slip and Fall Accident?
Statistics show that more than a million people in the US are admitted to Emergency Rooms every year due to slip and fall accidents. Injuries from slip and fall accidents can range from minor injuries such as cuts and bruises to major injuries such as broken hips, concussions, head injuries, broken bones, and spinal cord damage. In extreme cases, these accidents can cause death.
Slip and fall accident victims have a right to take legal action against the property owner. Here are the actions you should take following a slip and fall accident:
- Seek medical attention
- Report the accident as soon as possible
- Get witness contact information
- Don’t share details of the incident
- Contact an attorney
- Take pictures and/or videos at the scene of the accident
Who Can be Held Liable For a Slip and Fall Accident in Huntington?
Property owners and homeowners are responsible for ensuring that their properties are safe to live in. Therefore, if a property owner fails to take corrective action for any safety issues, he or she will be held liable for a fall accident that occurs on their property.
The frequency of inspection of a property depends on the reason why guests are on the property. For example, if guests are visiting a certain property for business purposes, the owner of the property is responsible for ensuring the safety of those visiting. To achieve this, the owner needs to inspect their property from time to time to check for any issues that can become a safety hazard.
If you visit a friend, the homeowner is not required to inspect their home frequently. However, they should inform you of any safety issues in their property beforehand. A property owner can be held liable if they knew that a guest would visit but failed to inform them of any potential safety hazards in their property.
Apart from homeowners and property owners, landlords and government agencies can also be held liable for a slip and fall accident. It is very important to determine the party responsible for your slip and fall accident as New York laws allow you to seek compensation from the responsible party.
At Cellino Law, our team of highly experienced and skilled lawyers will help you determine who is at fault and the cause of the accident as they will conduct a thorough investigation of the circumstances surrounding your slip and fall accident.
How is the Value of a Slip and Fall Claim Determined?
No two slip and fall cases are the same as each case occurs in unique circumstances. Therefore, there is no set value for a slip and fall claim. The worth of a slip and fall case depends on many factors including:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Loss of current and future earnings because of injuries sustained
- Compensation for pain and suffering
- Compensation depending on the nature and severity of injuries sustained
- Punitive damages
At Cellino Law, we will help you get the compensation you deserve. We will work with an economist and life care planner if necessary, to ensure that we demand a fair settlement amount by considering how the accident will impact your life now and in the future.
What are the Most Common Slip and Fall Accident Injuries?
As mentioned earlier, a slip and fall accident can result in minor or major injuries. The severity of injuries sustained depends on many factors including the environment, age, and how the fall occurred. Some of the common injuries resulting from slip and fall accidents include:
- Cuts and Bruises
- Broken bones
- Nerve and Spine Damage
- Brain Trauma
- Damaged Knees
- Muscle Strain and Shoulder Dislocation
- Sprained Wrists or Ankles
How Long do I Have to File a Slip and Fall Claim in Huntington, NY?
There are time limits, called the statute of limitations, within which you must file your slip and fall claim. The statute of limitations usually starts running on the date of the accident. As such, it is good to contact a lawyer soon after a fall accident so that your claim can be filed within this time period. Keep in mind that if you file your claim after the statute of limitations has run out, you may never be allowed to file a claim again. The slip and fall statute of limitations in the state of New York is three years from the date of the accident.
It is important to note that the statute of limitations depends on the type of case. For example, if you are seeking compensation from a municipality or government agency, you should file a notice of claim within 90 days. In such cases, you must file your lawsuit within one year and 90 days from the date of the accident.
Contact an Experienced Huntington Slip and Fall Lawyer Today
The experienced and skilled team of personal injury lawyers at Cellino Law in Huntington, New York, will help you build a strong case. They will gather strong evidence to support your case and collect compelling testimony from witnesses and professionals before beginning any negotiations with the insurance company or property owner.
This strong evidence will give us leverage to help you get a good settlement amount. If the insurance company or property owner offers less than you deserve, our team of dedicated lawyers will take the case to trial. Call our Huntington injury law firm today at (800) 555-5555 to start your claim.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- Choosing the right attorney to represent you after an accident can make all the difference. This is no cliche. I recently experienced these words to live by first hand. After a tractor trailer rear ended me at high speed in 2017 I retained Allan Silverstein to handle my case. I quickly realized that bringing a lawsuit rapidly snowballs into a mountain of details that can make or break your results. Documents, case histories, doctor visits, bills, and lots of phone calls all need to be accurately kept track of if a successful outcome it to be attained. To complicate matters I reside in New York and the incident took place in New Jersey. Luckily, Allan was licensed in multiple states. I was fortunate to find Allan to handle this matter from the New York area. Armed with an accurate account of the facts Allan went to work on the difficult job of negotiating with the defending insurance company as well as my no fault carrier in order to obtain the best possible outcome for my set of circumstances. In a lawsuit communication is key and and events can be of a timely nature. Allan never failed to return my calls - usually the same day! He fought skillfully and respectfully to get me the best possible settlement. He is easy to deal with and a likeable down to earth guy. He always listened with compassion and respect to my issues. He guided me with objective understanding as well as a realistic analysis of the merits of my case. When we finally settled Allan got me a fair agreement beyond my expectations and negotiated with my doctors to make sure all my bills were paid. It was a great experience having Allan represent me. Quality work in any aspect of life is hard to find. Quality is what I got with Allan Silverstein. I highly recommend him if you find yourself in need of a personal injury attorney.
- This letter is to thank Ms. Diane D’Andrea, assistant to Mr. George Gridelli, Attny for all the hard work, dedication, and attentiveness she showed during the representation of my case. She was always cheerful and ready to help in whatever way she could. All messages left for Mr. Gridelli were always relayed and Mr. Gridelli always promptly returned our calls. She was a very competent assistant. Cellino Law has proven to be a model of what legal representation should be. Throughout the 6 ½ years of this case, I have heard many horror stories from people with “bad lawyer stories.” We consider ourselves to be very lucky to have chosen Cellino Law and will always recommend you to those looking for good, honest representation with a personal touch.
- I want to thank your law firm for settling my lawsuit where others failed. You treated me with the utmost respect and care, because of your law firm the dream of owning my own home finally came true. For the first time in a long time, we're living out our dream home. Thank you a million times over. Thank you for making my dream come true.
- I really appreciated your determination and efforts on handling my case. You have done an outstanding job, and I am very satisfied with the outcome of the settlement. Thank you so so much John.
- Thank you for all your help. It has been a long journey. At last, the light at the end of the tunnel. Also, thank Tom for the help and work he put in.
- My wife and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for a fantastic job as our attorney. We could not have been more pleased with the work you and your team has done on this case. This past four years or so has been such a roller coaster for our family. We are very pleased and grateful with the result. We have made a good choice by choosing you. Thank you.