If you were ever involved in a car accident in the past, then you understand how critical it is to have a Huntington car accident lawyer represent you to make sure you obtain fair compensation for any injuries and damages you have sustained. What happens when an insurance company refuses to pay for the cost of medical expenses or repairs to your vehicle? What about being compensated for your loss of income due to the accident, or injuries you suffered as a result?
The car accident attorneys at Cellino Law in Huntington offer a free initial consultation so we can evaluate your case and get started with seeking compensation. It doesn’t matter how major or minor your accident was, we will provide you with first-rate legal advance and also answer any queries or questions you have about your case.
Our professional and experienced Huntington personal injury attorneys can mount a strong defense in order to keep your rights protected as the victim of a car accident. We always have your back and will make sure you receive the maximum possible amount of compensation. Our success rate, skill, and knowledge of the law set us apart as one of the leaders of New York state personal injury law.
How are Car Accidents Reported in New York?
New York state law requires drivers to report a car accident to the proper authority as soon as they can, particularly if the accident has caused a fatality or injury. The first one to report the accident should be the driver who caused the accident. However, it’s best to not rely on them doing that and to go ahead and report the accident yourself.
If any property was damaged as a result of the accident, the at-fault driver is required to file an accident damage report. This must be done whether the other driver is there or not. An accident damage report only should be filed if estimated damages are more than $1,000.
A driver must make the appropriate written statement and report within ten days following the accident. When an injury has been sustained that prevents the driver from being able to report the accident, there are not any specific stipulations about when the report needs to be made. However, experienced attorneys highly recommend that the report is made just as soon as the injured person has recovered enough to do so.
What Information Should Be Obtained After a Car Accident
Certain information should be collected while you are still at the accident scene that can help your case later on.
- The accident’s exact location
- The names, precinct, and badge numbers of any police officers who respond to the accident
- The names, insurance information, driver’s license number, and residential addresses of all drivers who were involved in the car accident
- Year, make, model, registration, and license number of all vehicles that were involved in the car accident
How Much Does it Cost to Hire a Car Accident Lawyer?
Cellino Law firm understands that it can be very difficult to pay for legal representation and advice for a personal injury case given all of the medical and other types of expenses that are incurred following a car accident. We provide our legal services with no upfront cost to make our services affordable to everyone. We do not charge any fees until you have received compensation for your personal injuries.
That is because our attorneys work on a contingency fee basis. That means we cover all of our own expenses until you have received compensation. Our contingency fee model also gives you the extra benefit of being confident that you will receive compensation for your injuries. Our attorneys thoroughly evaluate each case on its merits to assess the chances of it having a successful outcome.
What Compensation Can I Receive for a Car Accident?
Personal injury compensation claims typically must be based on a loss. Those losses can be either non-economic or financial in nature. There may also be punitive damages available to car accident victims where the at-fault driver engaged in serious misconduct or negligence.
Economic or financial claims offer monetary reimbursement for losses and expenses that were incurred due to a car accident and can include the following:
- Loss of income
- Damage to a car and other property
- Current medical expenses and future estimated medical costs that relate to injuries that were suffered in the car accident
- Current and potential future losses of income due to being unable to earn wages
Non-economic losses only are awarded in cases where there are serious injuries sustained according to the State Insurance Law section 5102. Those serious injuries can include the following:
- Loss of limbs
- Severe limitations to the use or function of a bodily system or organ
- Loss of function of a bodily system or organ
- Bone fractures
- Loss of an infant in utero
- Physical disfigurements
In certain personal injury lawsuits, you might also be able to sue for punitive damages. The damages are non-economic in nature and usually are due to the at-fault driver’s misconduct or negligence. Normally this kind of compensation is calculated as a multiplier of the other compensation being awarded.
The Statute of Limitations in New York For Car Accidents
Compensation claims for damages that are the result of a car accident must be filed within a certain amount of time from when the accident occurred. That is why it is essential to consult with an attorney in Huntington, NY, as soon as you can following your car accident.
In New York state, claims for damages should be filed against a defendant should be filed within a week of the day that the car accident occurred. A statute of limitations is in place and it is critical to meet the deadline in order to receive compensation.
The statute of limitations in New York for car accidents allows a victim to file a claim within 3 years starting on the date that the car accident took place. However, if a claim is against any government agency, then the plaintiff has just 90 days to file their claim.
Call Cellino Law Today to Schedule Your Free Consultation With a Huntington Car Accident Lawyer!
Keep in mind that it is critical to start your compensation claim soon instead of later. Call our Huntington personal injury firm today to learn more about how we can assist you in getting the compensation that you deserve and need for your injuries, loss of income, damage to your vehicle, and other losses that you have incurred due to the accident.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- This is to express our gratitude to you and your team in helping us and Stephanie navigate through the legal process following her car accident. We are very satisfied with the outcome and grateful for your hard work and attention to details. We fell confident that with this compensation, Stephanie will be able to move forward with her studies and her life with the ability to care for some of her health needs resulting from the injuries sustained following her car accident. Thank you very much and may God continue to bless your efforts.
Jose & Rose
- Tim Cellino handled my case beautifully. He is very knowledgeable and patient with all my questions. He kept in touch with me through out my ordeal. Tim also got a settlement for more than I expected. I highly recommend Tim Cellino!
- I am writing this letter to say how much I appreciate your services pertaining to my case. Your injury attorney took a hands-on approach and left me fully informed at all times as to where my case was going as well as how much ground we had to cover; leaving the final decisions in my hands but making sure that I knew all of the risks involved in the choices. I have dealt with a few law firms in my life on various different cases and this is the first time that I never had to call and/or track down my lawyer… because of this, I have and will continue to recommend Cellino Law to my friends and associates.
- It was a great pleasure working with you on my lawsuit. You certainly gave 150% of your time and interest in settling my case and for that, I am extremely grateful. Therefore, I want to thank you very much for helping me win my settlement and wish you the very best.
- Thank you for your time, effort, and hard work on my case. I appreciate your expertise and compassion. I never experienced what I went through and I would have been completely lost without you.
- I am so grateful for your expertise, patience, and perseverance which resulted with such a successful settlement regarding my car accident. I also want to let you know how impressed I was with you and your firm and I won't hesitate to recommend you to anyone who needs assistance from an accident. I truly appreciated your care and professionalism. Thank you again for your kindness and support