Filing a wrongful death claim isn’t something you should worry about. If a loved one was killed in an accident, you may feel as if your life is over. Your family will be dealing with grief, sadness, anxiety, depression, and many other problems that commonly happen after a tragedy. It’s not uncommon to face financial issues because of the loss, especially if the deceased was the main provider.
In New York, the family members of a deceased or severely injured person can file a wrongful death claim against the liable parties that caused the fatality. If your main questions are how to initiate that lawsuit, whether you’re eligible for the claim, and how much you can collect, it’s time to consult with a New York wrongful death attorney.
Wrongful Death Lawsuit
When a person is killed in an accident or medical malpractice, the law allows compensation for both the conscious pain and suffering of the injured victim before death and the economic loss suffered by his family as a result of their death. These two claims are often filled together, but the claim for economic loss that results from someone’s death is technically known as a “wrongful death” claim.
What Will You Get a Compensation For?
A wrongful death settlement typically covers medical and funeral expenses lost income, and other losses (past, present, and future). Sometimes punitive damages may also be awarded. If the deceased lived for some time before dying, a claim for conscious pain and suffering is another potentially significant basis for financial compensation. The amount of the wrongful death claim will depend on various factors that you should discuss with your lawyer.
How Long Will It Take You To Finish a Wrongful Death Case?
A wrongful death case may be finished in a few months, but some cases take years. Every case is different and the length of the process depends on many elements, such as the complexity of the case and the amount of needed discovery, if the case is settled or goes to a jury trial, how much negotiation may be needed, and court schedules.
A wrongful death claim is more complicated because the case should be proved without the help of the deceased and because it’s important for the courts to be involved in selecting a representative for the estate, and to approve the terms of the proposed settlement.
What is the Time Limit to File a Wrongful Death Claim?
The State of New York requires that you file the wrongful death claim within two years from the date of the victim’s death.
Wrongful Death Lawsuit and a Personal Injury Lawsuit
The main difference between wrongful death and a personal injury lawsuit lies in details. A personal injury claim arises when a person is injured in some way because of someone else’s negligent behavior. A wrongful death lawsuit could have easily been a personal injury case if the deceased person had survived. You can file a wrongful death claim that was previously a personal injury claim, in case you file the wrongful death case within New York’s two-year statute of limitations, and prior to the current personal injury case has concluded. The best way to be sure you can do both lawsuits is to discuss this with your attorney. They will review your case and will tell you if this is a smart move or not.
The Victim Died in a Motor Vehicle Accidents In New York City
Motor accidents claim lives each year in the New York City area; many of these deaths are preventable which means they lead to wrongful death lawsuits. Some claims involve municipal entities or other government authorities when the city, state or federal vehicles or property are involved in a death. Different rules apply to how much time plaintiffs have to initiate that type of claim.
What A Lawyer Can Do For Your Wrongful Death Claim?
The best thing to do if you’re facing the wrongful death of a loved one is to consult with a wrongful death attorney. These lawsuits are of complicated nature so it’s beyond important to have an attorney who has experience in the area. Having a strong legal representation will help you end the case properly, and get the claim you deserve.
An attorney will investigate what happened, collect the needed evidence, and will create a strong case on your behalf. Going alone into the process may be overwhelming; no matter how much you educate, an experienced attorney is always a better idea.
Cellino Law attorneys are here for you.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- I am writing to let you know what an outstanding job George Gridelli did for me in my personal injury lawsuit. His professionalism and expertise were evident at our first metting and he and his paralegal Diane D'Andrea took care of me as if I was a friend and not merely a client. They both went above and beyond for me in so many ways that it would be too numerous to list and I am grateful to have had such an exemplary team represent me. When working with George and watching him in court he personified to me what a lawyer is supposed to be - an honest, extremely compentent man who helped guide me through the legal system. I could not have obtained better representation anywhere else at any price. To me that says a lot abut you and your firm's integrity. Thank you again for representing me and for having such stellar individuals working for you! I will continue to recommend your firm.
- I just want to let you know that I did receive my settlement check. More importantly, I want to thank you again for all you did for both me and my family. I could not be more pleased with my experience at Cellino Law. From the moment I first spoke with you I felt comfortable - you took a sincere interest in my case, clearly explained the process and effected a quick settlement. From this day forward, when someone asks if I can recommend a good lawyer I will, without hesitation, say "Cellino Law". Thanks again.
- We'd like to thank you for all the assistance and time you spent on our case. Your professionalism and honesty will always be appreciated. The staff was always courteous and we were always impressed with your accountability. Your passion and dedication will never be forgotten, nor will you.
- I really appreciated your determination and efforts on handling my case. You have done an outstanding job, and I am very satisfied with the outcome of the settlement. Thank you so so much John.
- Tim Cellino handled my case beautifully. He is very knowledgeable and patient with all my questions. He kept in touch with me through out my ordeal. Tim also got a settlement for more than I expected. I highly recommend Tim Cellino!
- Choosing the right attorney to represent you after an accident can make all the difference. This is no cliche. I recently experienced these words to live by first hand. After a tractor trailer rear ended me at high speed in 2017 I retained Allan Silverstein to handle my case. I quickly realized that bringing a lawsuit rapidly snowballs into a mountain of details that can make or break your results. Documents, case histories, doctor visits, bills, and lots of phone calls all need to be accurately kept track of if a successful outcome it to be attained. To complicate matters I reside in New York and the incident took place in New Jersey. Luckily, Allan was licensed in multiple states. I was fortunate to find Allan to handle this matter from the New York area. Armed with an accurate account of the facts Allan went to work on the difficult job of negotiating with the defending insurance company as well as my no fault carrier in order to obtain the best possible outcome for my set of circumstances. In a lawsuit communication is key and and events can be of a timely nature. Allan never failed to return my calls - usually the same day! He fought skillfully and respectfully to get me the best possible settlement. He is easy to deal with and a likeable down to earth guy. He always listened with compassion and respect to my issues. He guided me with objective understanding as well as a realistic analysis of the merits of my case. When we finally settled Allan got me a fair agreement beyond my expectations and negotiated with my doctors to make sure all my bills were paid. It was a great experience having Allan represent me. Quality work in any aspect of life is hard to find. Quality is what I got with Allan Silverstein. I highly recommend him if you find yourself in need of a personal injury attorney.