Research shows that over 1 million people across the United States visit the emergency room every year after suffering fall-related injuries. Obviously, like any other injury-related accident, some people suffer just minor injuries while others suffer more serious injuries such as broken bones and hips, concussions, spinal cord damage, or even head injuries. Some injuries may even result in a fatality.
Fortunately, if you suffer a fall on another person’s property, you might still be eligible for compensation according to New York State law. If you have been injured in a fall, you should consider reviewing your claim with a Yonkers slip and fall lawyer. It does not matter the place or location; it could be private property, public property, home, or even a business such as a store or a restaurant; you can take action after your slip and fall accident.
To learn how we at Cellino law can help you get the compensation you are rightfully entitled to, get in touch with our Yonkers injury law firm today.
What Do You Do Following a Slip and Fall Accident?
If you have suffered a slip and fall injury in Yonkers, New York, you need to take the steps below:
- Seek immediate medical attention
- Report the accident
- Watch what you say
- Gather witness contact details
- Take photos and video of the scene
- Call a lawyer
What Will the Slip and Fall lawyer Do After I Suffer the Injury?
Even if the facts clearly prove that you are entitled to compensation, the reality is that you will come across numerous challenges along the way. One of the benefits of hiring a slip and fall attorney is to have more time to focus on your recovery. You are also more likely to receive a higher compensation amount if you hire a lawyer.
At Cellino Law, we can help with the following after a slip and fall accident:
- Investigate the circumstances of the case to find the root cause
- Protect your rights in case the owner of the property attempts to pin the accident on you
- Consult with top Yonkers injury professionals to value your case
- Stand up to insurance providers that attempt to devalue or outright deny your claim
Our Yonkers slip and fall lawyers are highly skilled and will build a strong case that’s supported by evidence. When we get down to negotiating with the insurance provider or property owner, we use the evidence gathered and the testimony from professionals and witnesses to secure a fair settlement. If the offer received isn’t satisfactory, our professional trial attorneys aren’t afraid to take it to court.
Who’s Liable for Your Injuries in a Yonkers Slip and Fall Accident?
Property owners, as well as homeowners, are responsible for keeping their buildings safe for guests and visitors. If a property owner does not correct any safety issues, they may be held liable for injuries resulting from a fall.
Besides homeowners and businesses, government agencies and landlords too can be held liable for slip and fall injuries. It is thus important to identify the party responsible for your injuries after a slip and fall accident.
New York law allows monetary compensation for those ultimately responsible for your injury. With our assistance here at Cellino Law, we will carefully investigate the claim, identify potential causes of the accident as well as the responsible party.
Is It Possible to Receive Compensation If You Are Partly to Blame for a Slip and Fall Accident?
New York uses comparative negligence, which means that you can be compensated even if you are partly to blame for the injuries. Comparative negligence means that both parties share the blame. So, simply because you are partly to blame, it does not mean that you are not entitled to compensation. Responsibility is assigned to all parties that contributed to the accident.
If a victim is partly to blame for the accident, it will affect the amount of compensation they end up receiving. The amount the accident victim will receive actually reduces by the percentage that the individual is at fault. For instance, if you are 30 percent at-fault, the compensation amount will be reduced by 20 percent.
What’s the Value of My Slip and Fall Case?
Slip and fall cases vary dramatically from one to the next. The reason for this is that each case has its own set of facts that play a role in determining the average case value. Still, our highly skilled and professional attorneys can provide a fair settlement estimate amount based on the factors below:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Loss of wages and future earning capacity because of the injury
- Extent and nature of personal injuries suffered by a person
- The extent of non-economic damages such as emotional, pain, suffering, and punitive damages.
Our attorneys at Cellino Law will work tirelessly to make sure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to. Where necessary, we will seek the assistance of a life care planner and economist to get the value of some factors likely to affect the outcome of your compensation claim.
What Are the Most Common Types of Injuries Resulting from Slip and Fall Accidents?
If a person slips and falls, he/she is injured as previously mentioned. The injuries are sometimes minor, but they can also be major sometimes. The severity of injuries will depend on location, age, and how you fall. Fall accidents may cause injuries of many forms, which include:
- Knee Damage
- Spine and Nerve Damage
- Brain Trauma
- Cuts and Bruises
- Broken Bones
- Shoulder Dislocations and Muscle Strains
What’s the Statute of Limitations When It Comes to Slip and Fall Injury Claims?
You should avoid losing your compensation because of failing to adhere to the statute of limitations. You need to get in touch with an attorney immediately after a slip and fall. The statute of limitations is best defined as the time allowed under the law to file a case from the date of the accident.
If an individual fails to acknowledge the time provided under the law, the case will be forever lost or the victim will be barred from ever filing compensation for their injuries. New York State provides a statute of limitations of 3 years for slip and fall accidents.
It is worth noting that the statute of limitations will vary depending on the type of case. For instance, filing a compensation lawsuit against a government agency or municipality has to be done within 90 days and the provided statute of limitations under the law is 1 year and 90 days.
Claims Against Homeowners and Landlords
If a slip and fall accident happens at a rented or managed property, an accident report form may be provided. However, it is highly unlikely for a private homeowner to have a report form. In any case, you are free to gather records that show exactly what happened to you, without forgetting to include the following:
- Description of the accident
- Environmental information such as light, surface, and weather conditions
- Name, contact, address, and remarks of any witnesses present
- Description of the injury
- The location and time of the accident
Contact a Yonkers Slip and Fall Lawyer
The Yonkers personal injury lawyers at Cellino Law are committed to ensuring that injured victims are compensated for their suffering. We will use evidence that proves negligence on the property owner’s part to negotiate your settlement with insurance providers in court. Call us now at (800)555-5555 to set up your free consultation.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- Cellino Law was a great company to work with. From the beginning they came out and met with my uncle and myself and assured us that everything would be taken care of from beginning to end our lawyer state and constant contact with us to make sure that everything would go smoothly and it did. I would definitely recommend anybody to go to Cellino Law for whatever help they need. And specifically please ask for the lawyer that we had Mr. Alan Silverstein. He was amazing and his staff was always attentive. Please go with them for your next law needs.
- It was a great pleasure working with you on my lawsuit. You certainly gave 150% of your time and interest in settling my case and for that, I am extremely grateful. Therefore, I want to thank you very much for helping me win my settlement and wish you the very best.
- Cellino Law is an amazing firm with a great team. I worked with Greg Pajak and his assistant, Tracey Falconer. I cannot express enough how dedicated they are. The personal attention I received was excellent; they were always available to help with questions and concerns and put me at ease in the unknown territory I found myself in. I highly recommend them to anyone needing representation. A huge thank you to them for all they accomplished for me!
- My wife and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for a fantastic job as our attorney. We could not have been more pleased with the work you and your team has done on this case. This past four years or so has been such a roller coaster for our family. We are very pleased and grateful with the result. We have made a good choice by choosing you. Thank you.
- I am so grateful for your expertise, patience, and perseverance which resulted with such a successful settlement regarding my car accident. I also want to let you know how impressed I was with you and your firm and I won't hesitate to recommend you to anyone who needs assistance from an accident. I truly appreciated your care and professionalism. Thank you again for your kindness and support
- I highly recommend Cellino Law to anyone involved in a car crash. I worked with Michael Lovecchio, and had a wonderful experience given the circumstances. He was very attentive, and got the best possible outcome I could have wanted.