The role cargo trucks play in the function of Rochester, and the nation overall, cannot be underestimated. Without cargo trucks performing the vital service of transporting goods and consumables across the country, the nation’s economy would come to a halt. However, due to their size and weight, cargo trucks pose an increased risk for horrifying accidents with victims suffering life-changing or fatal injuries.
Potholes or road fractures can cause unsecured cargo to fall from a moving truck, creating obstacles for other drivers on the road. In an effort to avoid the scattered debris on the road, a driver may veer out of the lane which can result in a devastating crash. This is why it’s crucial for commercial truck drivers, loading companies, and other parties to make absolutely sure that the cargo they’re carrying is secure.
If cargo or debris from a moving commercial truck has caused you or your loved one to suffer injuries, let the lawyers of Cellino Law get you a fair settlement. Our team of attorneys understand the complexities of truck crash claims and can help you to recover the compensation you deserve. Call Cellino Law (888) 888-8888 for a free consultation.
Potentially Liable Parties
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has created specific rules on how cargo is to be secured on commercial vehicles. These rules exist to ensure the safety of the truck operator, the goods on the vehicle, and for other drivers on the road.. If a company or driver fails to comply with these regulations, the negligent party may be found liable for any injuries that result from the loss of cargo.
In accidents that involve automobiles only, there is usually just one party that is liable for damages. However, in commercial truck accidents, several parties may be found liable. Some potentially liable parties for truck accidents that were caused by loose cargo include the following:
The truck driver has the responsibility to make sure the equipment used for securing cargo is in working order and that the cargo he or she is carrying is evenly distributed and tightly secured. Additionally, during the transporting period, the driver must frequently inspect the load and adjust equipment as needed.
The loading company
The loading company must follow specific procedures for securing cargo on commercial trucks. Improperly loaded cargo can result in a dangerous accident, like a rollover or jack knife.. If the cargo is overloaded, there is an increased potential for a tire blowout, which can result in the driver losing control of the truck.
The trucking company
If employees of the trucking company have not received the proper training on how to securely fasten cargo, the company itself may be found liable for damages. The same would be true if a driver has not been trained on inspection procedures or if the company has not provided the equipment needed for securing the load.
The maintenance company
The maintenance of a commercial vehicle is of utmost importance, as an improperly maintained vehicle is more at risk to cause an accident.. If the maintenance company takes shortcuts or fails to make the needed repairs and an accident results, the company may be held liable for damages.
In the aftermath of a truck accident, the cause of the accident needs to be found in order to hold the responsible party or parties liable for compensation for negligence. As such, an extensive investigation needs to be done to isolate the cause.
Common Injuries From Cargo Truck Accidents
In accidents involving a commercial truck, which weighs 20 to 30 times more than a car, the victims are often left with catastrophic injuries. Oftentimes, these injuries will have a permanent effect on every aspect of a victim’s life. Common injuries from commercial, including cargo, truck accidents include the following:
Victims involved in truck accidents often suffer from traumatic brain injuries (TBI). TBIs can include concussions, skull fractures, or hemorrhages. . Since some types of TBIs have the potential to be fatal, medical attention is needed immediately.
Any injury that affects the spinal cord can be life altering for the injured party. Although these types of injuries can happen during any type of motor vehicle accident, they have the potential to be catastrophic when a semi-truck is involved. Spinal cord injuries as a result of a semi truck collision can result in nerve damage, slipped or compacted discs, or paralysis.
Accidents caused by loose or falling cargo can result in internal injuries as well as external. Collisions with fallen debris or the truck itself can cause damage to internal organs or internal bleeding. Unfortunately, symptoms from injuries to the organs may not manifest themselves until weeks later, causing complications. That’s why a medical examination soon after your accident is imperative.
Broken bones are a common injury in motor vehicle accidents. As a result of a collision involving a truck, any party involved may suffer broken bones in their arms, legs, or ribs. Broken bones or fractures require immediate medical attention in order to heal properly and may result in lost wages due to limited mobility.
The most devastating result of a loose cargo accident is death. Since a cargo or semi truck is 20 to 30 times heavier than a passenger vehicle, direct collisions can be fatal for those involved. Any pain and suffering that the friends and family of the deceased is compounded by the realization that the accident could have been prevented.
Types of Compensation You May Be Entitled to Receive
Since accidents involving cargo trucks result in greater losses for victims. Medical expenses tend to be higher, missed days from work tend to be longer, and emotional suffering tends to be more severe.
True – no amount of money can completely compensate for long-lasting injuries or the loss of a loved one. However, some compensation can certainly help you start rebuilding your life.
Compensation may include:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Loss of income (present and future)
- Property loss
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium and support (in the case of wrongful death)
Speak With a Cargo Truck Accident Lawyer Today
If you have suffered injuries from an accident involving a cargo truck in Rochester, you may be feeling completely overwhelmed by your medical bills, lost wages, or other damages. But you do not need to handle your claim alone. The attorneys at Cellino Law are here to help you understand and navigate the confusing world of insurance claims while you focus on recovering.
Our team of highly experienced attorneys are here to help ensure that you recover the compensation you deserve for any lost wages, medical bills, and pain and suffering you may experience as a result of another party’s negligence.
Call Cellino Law today at (888) 888-8888 for a free consultation.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- Cellino Law and more specifically my attorney, Gregory V. Pajak, Managing Attorney, and as a whole the Cellino Law Firm and its organization. This is by far one of the most professional law firms and attorney I have ever engaged with and retained in my 35 years. The level of professionalism goes beyond words, the care and constant engagement with me as the client was touching. I was never ever just treated as simply a CASE with potentially a significant dollar number attached to my file. I was engaged regularly, Tracey (Ass’t) and Greg always made sure to remain constant, as well as consistent in overseeing that my case was handled properly and that it did matter in many ways - ensuring that the end result(s) would be fair and reasonable to my case/injury. The regular follow-up calls were very satisfying, knowing that you’re involved in your case matters significantly AND always. One of my main items to recognize Cellino Law and Gregory is that whenever I called, I was able to get through to speak directly to my Lawyer and he would answer any if not all of my questions in a very professional and genuinely caring manner. I always felt cared for and protected legally and more importantly, I was made feel as a human being that was being cared for and always keeping me abreast of all matters connected to the case. There was never a point I felt let down, on the contrary -the level of service was “STELLAR”. Greg is the consummate professional, a ‘role model’, if you will, for what other attorneys should strive to become when dealing with their clients.
- My experience during the time of negotiations was extremely positive. Josh Sandberg handled my lawsuit with the utmost integrity. He returned all my phone calls in a timely manner and answered all my questions. Josh made things less stressful. I would highly recommend Josh and the entire staff at Cellino Law.
- I highly recommend Cellino Law to anyone involved in a car crash. I worked with Michael Lovecchio, and had a wonderful experience given the circumstances. He was very attentive, and got the best possible outcome I could have wanted.
- I am writing to let you know what an outstanding job George Gridelli did for me in my personal injury lawsuit. His professionalism and expertise were evident at our first metting and he and his paralegal Diane D'Andrea took care of me as if I was a friend and not merely a client. They both went above and beyond for me in so many ways that it would be too numerous to list and I am grateful to have had such an exemplary team represent me. When working with George and watching him in court he personified to me what a lawyer is supposed to be - an honest, extremely compentent man who helped guide me through the legal system. I could not have obtained better representation anywhere else at any price. To me that says a lot abut you and your firm's integrity. Thank you again for representing me and for having such stellar individuals working for you! I will continue to recommend your firm.
- I really appreciated your determination and efforts on handling my case. You have done an outstanding job, and I am very satisfied with the outcome of the settlement. Thank you so so much John.
- Choosing the right attorney to represent you after an accident can make all the difference. This is no cliche. I recently experienced these words to live by first hand. After a tractor trailer rear ended me at high speed in 2017 I retained Allan Silverstein to handle my case. I quickly realized that bringing a lawsuit rapidly snowballs into a mountain of details that can make or break your results. Documents, case histories, doctor visits, bills, and lots of phone calls all need to be accurately kept track of if a successful outcome it to be attained. To complicate matters I reside in New York and the incident took place in New Jersey. Luckily, Allan was licensed in multiple states. I was fortunate to find Allan to handle this matter from the New York area. Armed with an accurate account of the facts Allan went to work on the difficult job of negotiating with the defending insurance company as well as my no fault carrier in order to obtain the best possible outcome for my set of circumstances. In a lawsuit communication is key and and events can be of a timely nature. Allan never failed to return my calls - usually the same day! He fought skillfully and respectfully to get me the best possible settlement. He is easy to deal with and a likeable down to earth guy. He always listened with compassion and respect to my issues. He guided me with objective understanding as well as a realistic analysis of the merits of my case. When we finally settled Allan got me a fair agreement beyond my expectations and negotiated with my doctors to make sure all my bills were paid. It was a great experience having Allan represent me. Quality work in any aspect of life is hard to find. Quality is what I got with Allan Silverstein. I highly recommend him if you find yourself in need of a personal injury attorney.