It is the legal duty of any driver that witnesses an accident or is in an accident to report this to the relevant authorities in New York, especially if fatalities or injuries were caused. The driver responsible for the accident should be the first individual to report it. However, this may not occur so it is best not to assume that they will do so, especially if this individual was acting irresponsibly when they caused the accident. If this occurs you will want to contact an Oyster Bay car accident lawyer and report it yourself.
When these accidents lead to property damages, the at-fault driver is required to make a damage report, even if the other driver is not present. However, the accident report is only necessary if the damages that you are going to report are going to exceed $1000.
Once the accident has occurred, the driver must make an appropriate report within 10 days, along with a written statement. If there was an injury that will prevent the driver from doing the reporting, there are actually no stipulations as to when the report must be made. Our personal injury attorneys in Oyster Bay recommend these reports are made as soon as possible to pursue this course of action. If you wait too long to report an accident or file a claim it can prevent you from recovering any compensation.
Is It Expensive To Hire A Car Accident Lawyer In Oyster Bay?
Cellino Law firm understands that expenses, such as medical expenses, that will happen after a car accident can make paying for representation or legal advice for a personal injury case very difficult. Our professionalism is going to be provided to our clients with no upfront costs which is going to make this affordable to just about everyone, even if they do have the money to pay for a lawyer. We are not going to ask for any fees at all until you are able to receive compensation for the injuries that you have sustained.
Our team of lawyers will work only on a contingency basis which means that we will pay for our own costs until compensation has been agreed upon and paid. By using this contingency fee model, you have the added benefit of feeling confident that you will be compensated for your personal injuries. When our lawyers evaluate each individual case, we do so on its own merit and determine whether there is the probability of a successful outcome which is why you can trust that we will do our best to represent your case.
What Compensation Can You Get For Injuries After A Car Accident?
There must always be some form of a loss in order to receive personal injury compensation when filing a claim in Oyster Bay, NY. These losses can be noneconomic or financial in nature. You can also pursue punitive damages which are attributed to the victims of these car accidents, specifically when misconduct or negligence by the at-fault driver is involved which has led to the accident.
Economic claims or financial claims provide a form of monetary reimbursement for losses and expenses that occurred as a result of the car accident which may include:
- Current plus future income loss as a result of the accident
- Medical expenses that will be related to the injuries that will happen now and in the future
- Loss of income because of the accident or injuries
- The damage to the vehicle, or any other property, caused by the at-fault driver.
If these are noneconomic losses, these will only be awarded in incidents where serious injuries are caused based upon the state insurance law, section 5102. These serious injuries will include:
- The complete loss of a limb or limbs on your body
- Severe limitation of the use of bodily organs
- Loss of functionality of your system or bodily organs
- Bone fractures
- The loss of a baby while in the womb
- A physical disfigurement that may require reconstruction
There are some cases where punitive damages may be pursued as part of the lawsuit regarding this personal injury case. These are not regarded as noneconomic or economic and are typically due to the misconduct or negligence of the at-fault driver when determining that amount. The type of compensation is typically calculated by multiplying the already determined compensation numbers.
Is There A Statute Of Limitations For Car Accidents In New York?
You have a certain period of time by which to file claims for compensation in the state of New York if you are involved in a car accident. It is absolutely critical to work with a law firm in Oyster Bay that can start to help you right after the accident so that you can pursue getting a settlement for the injuries or financial loss that you have sustained.
In New York, these claims must be filed within a week of the date of the car accident. The statute of limitations, along with the meeting deadline, must be met if you hope to get any type of compensation at all.
The statute of limitations will allow for claims that are the result of car accidents that are filed by the victim three years from the day when the accident occurred. However, with these claims against a government agency, the plaintiff or victim has only 90 days to do the same.
What Type Of Information Should You Get After The Car Accident?
There is certain information that you absolutely need while you are currently at the scene of the accident as this will help your case in many ways which will include:
- The exact location of the accident
- Badge numbers, names, and the precinct of any police officers that were first responders to the accident
- The residential address, name, contact info, driver’s license number, and the insurance information of every single driver that was part of the accident.
- The make, model, license number, year, and the registration of each and every vehicle that was part of the accident that occurred.
Call An Oyster Bay Car Accident Lawyer With Cellino Law For Your Free Consultation Today!
It is important to get started with your claim as soon as possible because weighting can jeopardize your potential for getting a settlement. Contact the Oyster Bay injury law firm of Cellino Law to start the path to getting compensation for loss of income, damage to your vehicle, your injuries, and any other losses that you may have accrued as a result of the accident you are in.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- I highly recommend Cellino Law to anyone involved in a car crash. I worked with Michael Lovecchio, and had a wonderful experience given the circumstances. He was very attentive, and got the best possible outcome I could have wanted.
- We want to send a big "Thank you" from the both of us. We know you both fought for us and did a great job with our case. You did it in a timely manner and we appreciate it.
Kerrijo & Jerry
- Choosing the right attorney to represent you after an accident can make all the difference. This is no cliche. I recently experienced these words to live by first hand. After a tractor trailer rear ended me at high speed in 2017 I retained Allan Silverstein to handle my case. I quickly realized that bringing a lawsuit rapidly snowballs into a mountain of details that can make or break your results. Documents, case histories, doctor visits, bills, and lots of phone calls all need to be accurately kept track of if a successful outcome it to be attained. To complicate matters I reside in New York and the incident took place in New Jersey. Luckily, Allan was licensed in multiple states. I was fortunate to find Allan to handle this matter from the New York area. Armed with an accurate account of the facts Allan went to work on the difficult job of negotiating with the defending insurance company as well as my no fault carrier in order to obtain the best possible outcome for my set of circumstances. In a lawsuit communication is key and and events can be of a timely nature. Allan never failed to return my calls - usually the same day! He fought skillfully and respectfully to get me the best possible settlement. He is easy to deal with and a likeable down to earth guy. He always listened with compassion and respect to my issues. He guided me with objective understanding as well as a realistic analysis of the merits of my case. When we finally settled Allan got me a fair agreement beyond my expectations and negotiated with my doctors to make sure all my bills were paid. It was a great experience having Allan represent me. Quality work in any aspect of life is hard to find. Quality is what I got with Allan Silverstein. I highly recommend him if you find yourself in need of a personal injury attorney.
- Tim Cellino handled my case beautifully. He is very knowledgeable and patient with all my questions. He kept in touch with me through out my ordeal. Tim also got a settlement for more than I expected. I highly recommend Tim Cellino!
- Cellino Law and more specifically my attorney, Gregory V. Pajak, Managing Attorney, and as a whole the Cellino Law Firm and its organization. This is by far one of the most professional law firms and attorney I have ever engaged with and retained in my 35 years. The level of professionalism goes beyond words, the care and constant engagement with me as the client was touching. I was never ever just treated as simply a CASE with potentially a significant dollar number attached to my file. I was engaged regularly, Tracey (Ass’t) and Greg always made sure to remain constant, as well as consistent in overseeing that my case was handled properly and that it did matter in many ways - ensuring that the end result(s) would be fair and reasonable to my case/injury. The regular follow-up calls were very satisfying, knowing that you’re involved in your case matters significantly AND always. One of my main items to recognize Cellino Law and Gregory is that whenever I called, I was able to get through to speak directly to my Lawyer and he would answer any if not all of my questions in a very professional and genuinely caring manner. I always felt cared for and protected legally and more importantly, I was made feel as a human being that was being cared for and always keeping me abreast of all matters connected to the case. There was never a point I felt let down, on the contrary -the level of service was “STELLAR”. Greg is the consummate professional, a ‘role model’, if you will, for what other attorneys should strive to become when dealing with their clients.
- This is to express our gratitude to you and your team in helping us and Stephanie navigate through the legal process following her car accident. We are very satisfied with the outcome and grateful for your hard work and attention to details. We fell confident that with this compensation, Stephanie will be able to move forward with her studies and her life with the ability to care for some of her health needs resulting from the injuries sustained following her car accident. Thank you very much and may God continue to bless your efforts.
Jose & Rose