More often than not, parking lot incidents involve low-speed accidents. People might pull out of spots without looking or engage in reckless driving to secure parking spots in crowded areas. Reckless driving can also escalate to high-speed and more dangerous driving habits in a parking lot, leading to substantial damages and injuries. Hiring an accident attorney increases the odds of getting the compensation your case deserves.
What Kind of Attorneys Handle Parking Lot Accidents?
There are different types of accident attorneys, but most will likely have experience handling parking lot accidents. If you’re unsure whether an attorney can help with your case, check their website for information or schedule a consultation.
The insurance company might try to lowball you by offering a settlement that doesn’t cover all of your damages. An experienced attorney has the knowledge and experience to tell you if the offer is fair and if it’s in your best interest to take legal action against the at-fault driver.
When meeting with an accident attorney in Melville for a consultation, bring the evidence you have. Evidence can include pictures of the damage done to your vehicle, a police report and eyewitness accounts. Your attorney will likely uncover more evidence as the case unfolds.
You should also come prepared to discuss your injuries, how the accident has affected your life and what kind of compensation you seek. This information helps the attorney determine the strength and monetary value of the case.
What Are Some Common Causes of Parking Lot Accidents?
Parking lots are one of the most dangerous places in America. While most people think of minor car crashes, a wide range of incidents can occur here. Consider the following examples.
Some vehicles have poor visibility when backing out of spaces. This is commonly the case with motorhomes, box trucks, commercial vans and vehicles with large rear pillars. Sometimes cargo or passengers could cause reduced visibility. Reduced visibility increases the risk of accidents in the parking lot.
Drivers often believe they face far fewer risks in a parking lot. Consequently, this might seem like a good time to check their phones or respond to text messages while also scouting for parking spots. Distracted driving at any speed and in any scenario could lead to accidents and even deaths.
Lack of Parental Supervision
One study found that 88.9% of children are not within arm’s reach when navigating parking lots. Children often do not have the same awareness of danger as adults, thus taking risks that endanger them. This can lead to cases as complex and challenging as they are heartbreaking.
You have likely seen that person in the parking lot doing donuts or engaging in other reckless behaviors. Vehicles are often unpredictable during these maneuvers and can cause the driver to lose control. The car can then collide with people, other vehicles, light poles, walls or buildings.
What Are the Odds of Winning My Case?
The odds of winning your case depend on the facts. If the other driver was speeding or driving recklessly, you might have a better chance of winning your case. If there were witnesses to the accident, their testimony could also help your case. An experienced attorney can review the evidence and give you a better idea of your chances of winning. Here are a few additional factors that increase your odds:
- Evidence of negligence, such as reckless driving or failing to keep a dog on a leash
- Strong correlation between negligence and the incident, such as a car driven by a reckless driver spinning out of control and colliding with a parked vehicle
- Securing strong proof, such as dashcam footage, CCTV footage and police reports
- Severe injuries, such as broken bones or deep lacerations
How Can Comparative Negligence Affect My Case?
New York and several other U.S. states acknowledge comparative negligence while still providing compensation. Consequently, if you are partially at fault for the accident, you could still recover damages from the other driver. The amount of payment you recover will be reduced by your percentage of fault.
Here’s an example of how comparative negligence might occur:
While paying for your groceries, you receive a message from your boss asking you to come in on short notice. On your way out of the store, you type up your response explaining that you’re unavailable.
Meanwhile, a young driver enters the parking lot. He is speeding, playing loud music and checking the parking spaces for the rest of his friends. Neither of you notice each other as you cross the parking lot and he hits you at 25 mph in a 5 mph zone.
The court will likely hold him accountable for speeding and failing to pay attention. However, it might also decide the accident could have been avoided had you not been so absorbed by the phone. Consequently, it awards you 20% of the blame. The jury awards you $100,000 for your injuries, so you receive $80,000.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire an Attorney?
Most accident attorneys work on a contingency basis, which means they only get paid if you win your case. If you win, the attorney takes a percentage of your settlement or jury award as payment.
The exact percentage depends on the lawyer and the specifics of your case. Attorneys often adjust contingency rates based on the case details, but Forbes reports an average of 33% and a range of 25% to 40%.
If you don’t win, you won’t have to pay the attorney anything. This makes hiring an attorney a risk-free way to get the compensation you deserve.
Are You Ready To Schedule a Consultation With an Experienced Accident Attorney?
Because personal injury attorneys don’t charge fees upfront, you have nothing to lose by interviewing two or so before making a decision. Scheduling a consultation puts you in a much better position to know your rights and set realistic expectations for the outcomes.
Our team at Cellino Law has secured more than $2 billion in compensation for our clients and would love to review your case. Contact us to get started.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- I highly recommend Cellino Law to anyone involved in a car crash. I worked with Michael Lovecchio, and had a wonderful experience given the circumstances. He was very attentive, and got the best possible outcome I could have wanted.
- Thank you for your time, effort, and hard work on my case. I appreciate your expertise and compassion. I never experienced what I went through and I would have been completely lost without you.
- Choosing the right attorney to represent you after an accident can make all the difference. This is no cliche. I recently experienced these words to live by first hand. After a tractor trailer rear ended me at high speed in 2017 I retained Allan Silverstein to handle my case. I quickly realized that bringing a lawsuit rapidly snowballs into a mountain of details that can make or break your results. Documents, case histories, doctor visits, bills, and lots of phone calls all need to be accurately kept track of if a successful outcome it to be attained. To complicate matters I reside in New York and the incident took place in New Jersey. Luckily, Allan was licensed in multiple states. I was fortunate to find Allan to handle this matter from the New York area. Armed with an accurate account of the facts Allan went to work on the difficult job of negotiating with the defending insurance company as well as my no fault carrier in order to obtain the best possible outcome for my set of circumstances. In a lawsuit communication is key and and events can be of a timely nature. Allan never failed to return my calls - usually the same day! He fought skillfully and respectfully to get me the best possible settlement. He is easy to deal with and a likeable down to earth guy. He always listened with compassion and respect to my issues. He guided me with objective understanding as well as a realistic analysis of the merits of my case. When we finally settled Allan got me a fair agreement beyond my expectations and negotiated with my doctors to make sure all my bills were paid. It was a great experience having Allan represent me. Quality work in any aspect of life is hard to find. Quality is what I got with Allan Silverstein. I highly recommend him if you find yourself in need of a personal injury attorney.
- I am writing to let you know what an outstanding job George Gridelli did for me in my personal injury lawsuit. His professionalism and expertise were evident at our first metting and he and his paralegal Diane D'Andrea took care of me as if I was a friend and not merely a client. They both went above and beyond for me in so many ways that it would be too numerous to list and I am grateful to have had such an exemplary team represent me. When working with George and watching him in court he personified to me what a lawyer is supposed to be - an honest, extremely compentent man who helped guide me through the legal system. I could not have obtained better representation anywhere else at any price. To me that says a lot abut you and your firm's integrity. Thank you again for representing me and for having such stellar individuals working for you! I will continue to recommend your firm.
- I just want to let you know that I did receive my settlement check. More importantly, I want to thank you again for all you did for both me and my family. I could not be more pleased with my experience at Cellino Law. From the moment I first spoke with you I felt comfortable - you took a sincere interest in my case, clearly explained the process and effected a quick settlement. From this day forward, when someone asks if I can recommend a good lawyer I will, without hesitation, say "Cellino Law". Thanks again.
- I can only say great things about my attorney Allan Silverstein. He is professional, he calls back right away, he keeps me informed, and makes me feel comfortable as this entire ordeal is stressful. I have total confidence in his ability to handle whatever comes his way. He is no nonsense and very good at his job. Thank you Allan... he is a true asset to the team!