Bicycle accidents are among the most potentially devastating types of traffic incidents. If a car crashes into you while you are on a bike, you have very little protection to keep you from suffering a truly catastrophic injury.
In the minutes, hours and days after such an accident, you might constantly ask yourself if you need a bicycle accident attorney and when the right time is to make the call. At Cellino Law, our team is waiting by the phones ready to answer your questions about how to secure the best outcome for your personal injury claim.
How Can a Bicycle Accident Attorney Help Me?
There are many unique factors to consider in a bicycle accident case that set them apart from a typical car accident. These complexities can make it difficult for you to navigate the ins and outs of an insurance claim on your own, especially when you should be focusing on recovery after receiving a catastrophic injury. Your bicycle accident lawyer will bear the legal burdens for you while you work toward a return to normalcy.
The personal injury lawyers at Cellino Law can support you by:
- Investigating the cause of your bicycle accident
- Collecting evidence and witness statements to establish who is at fault
- Handling paperwork and other tasks regarding your accident claim
- Negotiating with the insurance company and other lawyers
- Advocating for a fair settlement in court if necessary
The right time to get a bicycle accident attorney is immediately after a collision happens. This ensures that you have the guidance you need every step of the way, and our lawyers can even help you file your initial claim correctly.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Bicycle accidents often occur due to negligence or a lack of care exhibited by at-fault motorists. Personal injury cases are rarely as simple as just saying that a driver was negligent, though, so it is important to understand the root causes of a driver’s recklessness so that your legal team can more clearly establish fault.
If you experience a bicycle accident due to any of these causes, you likely have a strong claim to compensation:
- Distracted driving
- Failing to yield
- Aggressive or unsafe driving
- Motorists using or blocking the bike lane
After any of these types of accidents, a bicycle accident attorney can help you secure what is rightfully yours. Keep in mind that this list is not exhaustive, so it is always best to contact a bicycle accident lawyer to discuss whether or not you have a case.
What Are the Bicycle Laws in New York?
Bicyclists share many of the same rights and responsibilities as anyone operating a motor vehicle on the roads of New York. Bicycles are free to use the road and other vehicles must allow them full use of a lane. However, this means that bicyclists must obey traffic signs and signals to the same extent as drivers. Other drivers must respect these rights and boundaries, being mindful of any bicycles that are on the road, checking blind spots for bikes that are hard to see and doing their due diligence to keep everyone safe.
New York bicycle law also encourages, but does not enforce, that bicyclists should wear a helmet, use the road rather than the sidewalk and use a bike lane wherever possible. New York law does, however, prohibit having a passenger above the age of 1 on your bicycle. Violating any laws that apply to bicyclists can have a negative impact on your personal injury claim, so be sure to consult with your bicycle accident attorney to make sure that you were on the right side of the law at the time of the collision.
What Else Should I Do After a Bicycle Accident?
In addition to contacting your bicycle accident attorney as soon as reasonably possible after sustaining an injury, there are a few other steps you should follow to ensure your safety and well-being. These not only benefit your health but also serve to get your personal injury claim started on the right note so that you have the best chance at a favorable settlement down the line.
A few things you should prioritize in the minutes and hours after a bicycle accident include:
- Contact the police and wait for officers to arrive at the scene
- Seeking immediate medical attention, even if you do not notice pain or symptoms
- Exchange information with the driver
- Document the accident if it is safe for you to do so
- Start the insurance claim process
When it comes to documenting your accident, collecting evidence from the scene, talking to witnesses and maintaining medical records related to your injuries, a bicycle accident attorney can be a valuable source of support every step of the way.
What Do I Need To Know About Bicycle Insurance?
When you suffer injuries or property damage in a bicycle accident, it goes without saying that receiving financial compensation is important for helping you recover from the monetary blow and getting you back to a state of normalcy. If a motorist is directly responsible for the accident, then you can expect to receive a settlement from their own insurance company. However, you might also wonder how your own insurance policy can help you.
Bicycle insurance commonly covers medical payments, replacement costs and certain other expenses you incur as a result of an accident that happens while you are riding a bike. You might already have bicycle insurance as part of a homeowners or renters insurance policy. Otherwise, it may be worthwhile to explore your bicycle insurance options if you are a frequent rider.
When Should I Contact a Bicycle Accident Attorney?
It is in your best interest to hire a bicycle accident attorney as soon as possible after an accident, regardless of who is at fault. Every case is unique, though, and your circumstances might not seem so cut and dry when it comes to deciding whether or not hiring a lawyer is the right course of action. With that in mind, it is best to keep in mind a few scenarios when having a bicycle accident lawyer on your side can make the most difference:
- When you sustain a major injury that necessitates significant compensation
- When the insurance company denies your claim
- When the insurance company tries to lowball you or reduce your settlement
- When you need help establishing fault for the accident
- When you have any questions regarding your accident or your claim
If you are struggling to determine if you need help dealing with the aftermath of a bicycle accident, carefully consider the above situations. If any of them resemble what you are going through, then you are going through a time when you need a bicycle accident lawyer.
Contact a Manhattan Bicycle Accident Attorney Today
Bicycles are a popular mode of transportation all across New York State, but especially on the streets of Manhattan. When city drivers let aggression and recklessness take over, it can have catastrophic implications for exposed bicyclists. At Cellino Law, our bicycle accident attorneys are there for you when you need legal help the most. Contact us today by calling (888) 888-8888 and learn more about how we can help you achieve the best possible outcome for your claim.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- I really just wanted to say thank you so much for taking my case, answering all my questions, and mostly for being very patient with me. I feel that without you and Roza I would not have been able to get anything at all. I hope to never need a lawyer again, but if I do I will definitely want you both working for me. Again thank your for you hard work, time and patience.
- Joe and I just wanted to send you this note thanking you for the professional way you handled our lawsuit. Your kindness was extremely appreciated in a very difficult time. When we found out the people that caused the accident had no insurance, we thought our chances of receiving any settlement was nonexistent. Once we met with you and released you were able to help us our minds were put at ease. Your aggressive manner of handling the case exceeded our expectations. Please feel free to use us as a reference. Thank you so much and best wishes,
Danielle and Joe
- Mark Kochanowicz is from far the best attorney you can have. Mark treats you like a friend more than a client. He truly cares and go the extra mile for you and your case, contacts you to update you in regards to your case and keep you informed at all times. Mark represented me twice and settled my cases for way more than I expected. I highly recommend Mark Kochanowicz because he is just the best on what he does!!! Thank you Mark!!!!
- I am writing to let you know what an outstanding job George Gridelli did for me in my personal injury lawsuit. His professionalism and expertise were evident at our first metting and he and his paralegal Diane D'Andrea took care of me as if I was a friend and not merely a client. They both went above and beyond for me in so many ways that it would be too numerous to list and I am grateful to have had such an exemplary team represent me. When working with George and watching him in court he personified to me what a lawyer is supposed to be - an honest, extremely compentent man who helped guide me through the legal system. I could not have obtained better representation anywhere else at any price. To me that says a lot abut you and your firm's integrity. Thank you again for representing me and for having such stellar individuals working for you! I will continue to recommend your firm.
- I want to thank your law firm for settling my lawsuit where others failed. You treated me with the utmost respect and care, because of your law firm the dream of owning my own home finally came true. For the first time in a long time, we're living out our dream home. Thank you a million times over. Thank you for making my dream come true.
- Thank you for your time, effort, and hard work on my case. I appreciate your expertise and compassion. I never experienced what I went through and I would have been completely lost without you.