As much as we love animals, sometimes they may end up causing us injuries in the form of animal bites. These types of injuries can be traumatic and in the worst case can leave one with permanent scars. Dog bites are some of the most common and often they happen with children. Dog bites can cause bruises, lacerations, and even scarring. When a person gets bitten by a dog, it is important to get medical care immediately so that they can receive professional treatment to prevent an infection. At times they may also require continuous treatment for a while.
If you have been injured in an animal attack, you should contact a Long Island dog bite lawyer right away. Cellino Law has a team of personal injury lawyers in Long Island that will be able to help you in getting the right compensation for the trauma and medical care you will receive.
What Should You do After Suffering a Dog Bite Injury?
It is crucial to know what to do after you have been involved in such an incident. This is what determines if you will be able to get the compensation that you deserve. Keep in mind that you may have an adrenaline rush from the attack and may still be confused and traumatized after such an incident. The best thing to do is to check how severe the bite is first. if it is bad, call 911 as soon as possible.
If you can take a picture of the dog, this will be a great way to help prove your claim. Take pictures or a video of the dog and the area where the incident happened. If there are any witnesses, get them to give an account or get their details. It is advisable to get medical attention even when you feel like it is a minor bite. It could be minor but have a higher risk of getting infected. If the owner of the dog is not available you should get rabies shots to prevent any risks.
Not being able to identify the owner is usually a sign that you need to be extra cautious because you will not be able to get any information on the shots that the dog has. Seeking medical assistance is advisable because there may be other injuries apart from bites. The dog could also scratch you and cause you to get an infection.
You should not ignore getting medical assistance. Even with a small bite that you can treat yourself, it is advisable to get a professional involved. This way, the owner will not be able to argue that the dog did not cause any harm. There will be evidence that you can present to get the compensation that you deserve. It is a fact that any dog no matter the size or breed can cause injuries if they attack you.
Injuries Caused by Dog Bites
Our attorneys often help dog bite victims pursue claims for the following injuries:
If you are attacked by a larger dog, they will most likely leave puncture wounds. This is because larger dogs might pounce on you with more strength than smaller ones. The dog might not puncture your skin immediately they bite because dog teeth are not as sharp. Whatever the type of wound you have, you need to make sure you get treated to get stitches if it is indeed a puncture wound.
Teeth or Claw Wounds
These are caused as the dog pounces to bite on you and rips your clothes. This often causes serious bleeding.
if a large dog pounces on you and you fall to the ground then you may incur broken bones as a result. It could also happen if you are trying to run away and the dog attacks you by biting on your arm or leg.
Traumatic Brain Injuries
These injuries can occur when an attack causes someone to fall. This is common when bigger dogs attack and push the victim to the ground with force. Such falls could result in skull fractures if the force is too much. A victim of such an attack may sustain injuries such as mild concussions, however, it may be worse and a real brain issue could be the result. Traumatic brain injuries need immediate medical care as failure to do so could mean that the victim may be left with permanent damage.
Dogs can cause facial damage by attacking a person and biting parts of the face such as the nose, ears, etc. When this happens, it often requires various facial reconstruction surgery. In other cases, they also cause permanent scars.
Once you have seen a medical expert, you must get the medical report that has all the information that you need for the case. This will aid in getting the right amount for compensation because you will have all the necessary evidence. Cellino dog bite attorneys will help you get the compensation that you deserve. Having all the information to prove that you were indeed attacked will go a long way in making the case.
Consequences of Dog Bites
The CDC reports that more than 800,000 people reach out to medical professionals for the treatment of dog bites each year. Of these, about half the percentage are children. More than 20,000 end up seeking reconstructive surgeries due to the extent of the bites.
Insurance paid amounts to just above 16,000 dollars for compensation through homeowner insurance. Most victims get an average of 30,000 dollars which at times is not the actual cost of the medical care and other expenses the victims spend to cure the bite.
If you need to get the right Long Island dog bite attorney, choose Cellino Law. They can help you get the right compensation. You are entitled to compensation if the dog bites you when you are not trespassing or if you had not provoked it. The dog owner should pay if the dog attacked you unprovoked.
The law also states that if there were other animals attacked during the incident then the dog owner has to pay for the treatment of said animals.
There are also other injuries that a person who has been attacked by a dog may suffer from. These are;
Disfigurement or Permanent Scarring
Since dogs attack children the most, they often end up with deep scars on their faces or necks. These can be permanent and reconstructive surgery may be necessary. Some marks can last up to adulthood.
The psychological impact that the attack will have on the victim could lead to anxiety and a terrible fear of dogs, also known as Cynophobia. If the attack was really bad it may leave the victim with PTSD.
Once a victim of a dog attack incurs deep wounds that force them to stay in the hospital for a while, they may end up getting a pay cut when they do not show up to work in weeks or even months. If the attack renders them disabled, they may not be able to return to work and as such their finances are deeply affected.
If a victim wants to get the compensation that they deserve, they have to prove without a doubt that the attack was unprovoked on their part. The owner also has to appear and state their side of the story. If it is proven that the dog owner knew that the dog was likely to attack the victim, they are responsible. Unfortunately, this is all hard to achieve if the dog owner also gets representation. There will be an investigation necessary to prove if the victim is entitled to compensation. The attorneys at Cellino law can get a dog bite victim the right results in such a case.
How can a Long Island Dog Bite Lawyer Help Prove My Claim?
Previous attacks that have been recorded- the dog may have bit other people in the past and these victims may also have reported it.
Leash Law Violations- If the owner knows the dog is aggressive they need to make sure that it has a leash when around strangers according to New York state laws.
Eyewitness Testimony- This could come from neighbors or people that were nearby when the incident happened. They can give an account of the happenings.
The attorney also looks for evidence to prove that the dog owner knows that the dog is a potential danger. If the dog has a history of being aggressive, growling at the owner or other people, then it could be a dog that is a risk.
What Compensation and Resources are Available to Victims of Dog Bites?
If the court concludes that you are liable for compensation and that the dog bite/attack was a result of negligence by the owner, you will get compensated. They can also get you compensated for issues such as;
Lost wages during the time that you took to recover. If the victim is badly injured and cannot be able to return to work then they are entitled to compensation in the amount that they would have received in wages.
The victim is also compensated for the pain and suffering they face when they are attacked by the dog. This can be hard to determine in the form of any amount, but with the evidence provided, the court ensures that the victim gets their compensation. The judge may check how severe the attack was and determine the amount that way. The victim’s testimony, as well as that of the witnesses, also counts in the final decision.
The dog owner may be liable for any costs that are incurred from surgeries, rehabilitation, injuries, etc. If the victim is disabled or maimed during the attack, the owner may also be liable for any costs.
All dog owners should know the laws about dogs and attacks that result in dog bites or any of the above damage. As a dog bite victim in Long Island, NY, you can discuss how the laws will affect your injury claim with the attorneys in Cellino Law. We have the experience necessary to handle these claims and will give you the right advice.
Common Dog Bite FAQs
Questions we often receive regarding dog bite laws include:
- What Number Of People Are Bitten By Dogs In America Annually?
About 5 million people get bitten by dogs each year, and around one in each five gets serious injuries…
- Are Dogs That Aren’t Trained More Dangerous?
- Which Dogs Have Been Highlighted As Being More Aggressive?
Yes. Dogs such as rottweilers and pit bulls are not allowed in certain places because of their aggressive nature. If a pet owner violates these laws they are fined.
- Are There More Dangerous Dog Breeds Than Others?
Reports conducted over the years showed that there are more fatalities caused by certain dogs. The most dangerous breeds according to studies are;
Pit bulls, Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Siberian Huskies, Malamutes, Wolf and dog hybrids, Chow Chows, Dobermans, and Saint Bernards.
Can You File a Claim If You are Bitten by a Dog at Work?
Yes. There are worker’s compensation claims that can be filed through the employer. If the employer is not the owner of the dog then the victim of the attack can file a legal claim against the owner.
Can an Injury Claim be Filed if You are Injured by a Police Dog?
Law enforcement receives training when handling police dogs. They should never use too much force/ unnecessary force to get their suspects. If the police dog attacks a person due to too much use of force then the victim has a right to contact a Long Island premises liability lawyer that can advise them on how to handle the situation. If it is determined that the police used excessive force and in turn caused injuries to the victim by having the police dog attack them, the victim is liable to compensation.
Can a Claim be Filed if Another Person’s Dog Attacks My Pet?
Yes. The compensation should be the licensing price and registration of the same pet, shots, and training costs if any. You can also file for any distress caused by the death of the pet.
It is advisable to talk to an experienced attorney as the laws always differ from state to state. Your attorney will be able to guide you through the dog bite laws and advise you accordingly.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- This is to express our gratitude to you and your team in helping us and Stephanie navigate through the legal process following her car accident. We are very satisfied with the outcome and grateful for your hard work and attention to details. We fell confident that with this compensation, Stephanie will be able to move forward with her studies and her life with the ability to care for some of her health needs resulting from the injuries sustained following her car accident. Thank you very much and may God continue to bless your efforts.
Jose & Rose
- I am writing this letter to say how much I appreciate your services pertaining to my case. Your injury attorney took a hands-on approach and left me fully informed at all times as to where my case was going as well as how much ground we had to cover; leaving the final decisions in my hands but making sure that I knew all of the risks involved in the choices. I have dealt with a few law firms in my life on various different cases and this is the first time that I never had to call and/or track down my lawyer… because of this, I have and will continue to recommend Cellino Law to my friends and associates.
- I am so grateful for your expertise, patience, and perseverance which resulted with such a successful settlement regarding my car accident. I also want to let you know how impressed I was with you and your firm and I won't hesitate to recommend you to anyone who needs assistance from an accident. I truly appreciated your care and professionalism. Thank you again for your kindness and support
- Choosing the right attorney to represent you after an accident can make all the difference. This is no cliche. I recently experienced these words to live by first hand. After a tractor trailer rear ended me at high speed in 2017 I retained Allan Silverstein to handle my case. I quickly realized that bringing a lawsuit rapidly snowballs into a mountain of details that can make or break your results. Documents, case histories, doctor visits, bills, and lots of phone calls all need to be accurately kept track of if a successful outcome it to be attained. To complicate matters I reside in New York and the incident took place in New Jersey. Luckily, Allan was licensed in multiple states. I was fortunate to find Allan to handle this matter from the New York area. Armed with an accurate account of the facts Allan went to work on the difficult job of negotiating with the defending insurance company as well as my no fault carrier in order to obtain the best possible outcome for my set of circumstances. In a lawsuit communication is key and and events can be of a timely nature. Allan never failed to return my calls - usually the same day! He fought skillfully and respectfully to get me the best possible settlement. He is easy to deal with and a likeable down to earth guy. He always listened with compassion and respect to my issues. He guided me with objective understanding as well as a realistic analysis of the merits of my case. When we finally settled Allan got me a fair agreement beyond my expectations and negotiated with my doctors to make sure all my bills were paid. It was a great experience having Allan represent me. Quality work in any aspect of life is hard to find. Quality is what I got with Allan Silverstein. I highly recommend him if you find yourself in need of a personal injury attorney.
- This letter is to thank Ms. Diane D’Andrea, assistant to Mr. George Gridelli, Attny for all the hard work, dedication, and attentiveness she showed during the representation of my case. She was always cheerful and ready to help in whatever way she could. All messages left for Mr. Gridelli were always relayed and Mr. Gridelli always promptly returned our calls. She was a very competent assistant. Cellino Law has proven to be a model of what legal representation should be. Throughout the 6 ½ years of this case, I have heard many horror stories from people with “bad lawyer stories.” We consider ourselves to be very lucky to have chosen Cellino Law and will always recommend you to those looking for good, honest representation with a personal touch.
- Joe and I just wanted to send you this note thanking you for the professional way you handled our lawsuit. Your kindness was extremely appreciated in a very difficult time. When we found out the people that caused the accident had no insurance, we thought our chances of receiving any settlement was nonexistent. Once we met with you and released you were able to help us our minds were put at ease. Your aggressive manner of handling the case exceeded our expectations. Please feel free to use us as a reference. Thank you so much and best wishes,
Danielle and Joe