Unfortunately, thousands of people suffer injuries each day in the U.S. While many of these injuries result from accidents, some involve civil wrongs or damages caused by another person’s negligence. Examples of injuries where a third party may hold responsibility include car accidents, construction site injuries, medical malpractice, and slip-and-fall accidents.
Filing a personal injury claim is often necessary to receive compensation to pay for medical bills. A lawyer can help you file an insurance claim and will represent you in court if necessary. Hiring a personal injury lawyer is a good option if you suffered an injury in an accident in East Rochester, New York. Here is everything you need to know about finding and hiring a personal injury lawyer.
Types of Personal Injury Cases
Personal injury law allows an injured person to receive compensation when another party’s careless conduct causes harm. Many situations can result in a personal injury claim. However, the presence of an injury itself does not necessarily mean someone else is liable. You must present evidence that another person’s neglect directly led to your injuries. Here are some of the most common personal injury cases:
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle collisions
- Truck accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Construction accidents
- Slip-and-fall accidents
- Dog attacks
- Elder abuse
This is not a comprehensive list of personal injury accidents. If you can prove another party’s negligence caused an injury, you may get compensation.
Car accidents are unfortunately a common occurrence in East Rochester, NY. According to recent statistics, the town has seen an increase of 25% in car accident-related incidents over the past five years. These crashes can involve anything from minor fender benders to major collisions that may result in serious injury or even death.
No one wants to be involved in a car accident, and many of us may find ourselves unsure of what to do after one has occurred. Some tips that can help you if an accident should happen include calling 911, remaining at the scene until police arrive, exchanging insurance information with the other driver, taking photos of any property damage or injuries that have resulted from the accident, and seeking medical attention if needed.
If you have been involved in a car accident in East Rochester, NY, it’s important to take the necessary steps to protect yourself and your rights. Consulting with an experienced car accident attorney can help ensure that you receive adequate compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages. They can also help you file insurance claims and navigate the legal process to make sure that you get the best possible outcome.
Slip and Fall
Slip and fall accidents can happen to anyone, at any time. Unfortunately, East Rochester is no exception. Slip and fall injuries can be debilitating and expensive, but there are a few steps you can take to minimize your risk in the area.
- First, always take caution when walking on wet surfaces such as puddles or wet floors. Wear slip-resistant footwear, and use the handrails whenever possible. Additionally, avoid walking on ice or snow if you can.
- Second, be aware of your surroundings at all times. Look out for broken sidewalks or steps that have loose boards, as well as any objects or debris that could cause a hazard. If you do encounter any of these, report them to the appropriate authorities right away.
- Finally, if you or someone you know has suffered a slip and fall injury in East Rochester, contact an experienced personal injury lawyer at Cellino Law for help.
Our slip and fall attorneys can help ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation to understand how we can help you get the compensation you are entitled to and hold the negligent parties liable
Unfortunately, construction accidents in East Rochester, NY, still occur all too often. In 2019 alone, there were a reported 382 construction-related injuries and 18 fatalities in East Rochester. The most common causes of construction accidents include falls, electrocutions, scaffold collapses, flying debris and objects, cave-ins, equipment failure, improper tool use or maintenance, toxic chemical exposure, structural collapse or failure, and explosions. Most victims of construction accidents are not able to return to work after the incident, making it difficult to take care of themselves or their families without proper financial compensation.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a construction accident in East Rochester, NY, you should contact a skilled construction accident attorney as soon as possible. At Cellino Law, our experienced personal injury lawyers are dedicated to helping you get the financial compensation and justice you are entitled to. We have a successful track record of obtaining settlements for victims injured in construction accidents, and we will work tirelessly to ensure that your interests are protected. With Cellino Law, you can rest assured that your case is in good hands. Contact us today for a free consultation.
Unfortunately, East Rochester, NY, has seen its fair share of wrongful death accidents in recent years. These devastating losses are felt by family members and friends far and wide. While the pain of losing a loved one can never be fully healed, our team at Cellino Law understands that there are financial repercussions associated with wrongful death accidents. We have dedicated ourselves to helping families navigate their legal options when it comes to seeking compensation for damages resulting from a wrongful death accident.
Our experienced attorneys understand how difficult it can be to move forward in these cases, and we are here to walk with you through every step of the process. We strive to provide compassionate support as well as skilled legal representation so that families can get the compensation they deserve and seek justice for their loved one. No amount of money can bring a person back, but our team at Cellino Law is here to provide the resources and assistance needed to bring closure to the families of those involved in wrongful death accidents. Please don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions or concerns. We are here for you every step of the way.
Establishing Liability in Personal Injury Cases
Personal injury cases typically involve the negligent or careless acts of others. Receiving compensation for an injury involves submitting a claim with an insurance company or filing a lawsuit. In most cases, you must prove another party was negligent to win a claim. The first step in proving someone was careless is to establish they had a duty of care in a situation that caused your injury. As the injured party, you will need to show the plaintiff failed to meet that care of duty. Once the negligence is proven, you must show your injuries directly resulted from that negligence.
Types of Personal Injury Compensation
Injury victims may get several types of compensation to cover medical expenses, emotional distress, loss of income, and pain and suffering. Personal injury compensation is divided into two main categories: compensatory and punitive damages.
Compensatory damages are the most common type of compensation awarded and cover the costs associated with the injury. Covered expenses may include doctor bills, hospital expenses, surgical procedures, physical therapy, in-home health care, and medications. On the other hand, punitive damages are not awarded in every case. Punitive damages compensate victims for excessive pain and suffering. Different types of personal injury compensation may include:
- Loss of income: Many accident victims cannot work because of their injuries. Your personal injury claim can include any income you lost due to missing work. Loss of income can include wages, salaries, commissions, bonuses, and benefits.
- Future economic damages: You may receive money to cover future loss of income if you suffer a permanent injury such as paralysis, significant motor skill damage, or amputation. This compensation helps you cover expenses if you cannot work for an extended period. However, you may not receive your current pay level if your injury may decrease your earning potential.
- Non-economic damages: You may get non-economic damages to compensate for pain and mental anguish if you suffer significant injuries. Non-economic damages can come with any personal injury claim. Examples of non-economic harms include permanent disabilities, emotional distress, loss of enjoyment in life, anxiety, or stress.
Receiving compensation for your injury claim usually requires significant documentation and paperwork. For instance, if you plan to file for loss of income benefits, you should begin gathering pay stubs and tax documents now.
How Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help
Suffering an injury is an unpleasant, scary experience. Personal injuries are particularly upsetting if they are due to another party’s negligence. If you believe someone else’s negligence caused your accident, an East Rochester, NY personal injury lawyer can help you understand your legal options. Depending on your case, an attorney can provide the following services.
1. Explain Your Rights
Lawyers can explain your legal rights after you suffer an injury. Lawyers can help you understand how the statutes of limitations and negligence may impact your case.
2. Provide Legal Advice
Once you understand your rights, lawyers can help you assess your options. They can explain complex legal processes, insurance jargon, and paperwork to file a claim with an insurance company or court system. Most lawyers will advise you not to provide a statement to the other driver’s insurance company if you suffered a car accident injury. These statements may be used to deny liability. Lawyers can recommend the proper medical treatment to seek.
3. Assess Damages
Many injury victims do not think about the long-term impact of an accident. They often prioritize addressing their most immediate medical and financial concerns without thinking too far into the future. However, personal injury lawyers understand the long-term effects of injuries. They can help you calculate future medical costs and loss in earning capability if the accident caused permanent damage. Having an accurate assessment of how much money you need over the life of your injury is critical to getting a fair settlement.
4. Connect You With Medical Providers
Many personal injury lawyers have business relationships with medical professionals who agree to provide the proper medical documentation for your claim. They also have experience in severe injuries and can recommend the best doctors within particular fields.
5. Represent You in Court
The vast majority of personal injury cases reach a settlement well before a trial can begin. In fact, most are settled with the insurance company before a lawsuit is filed. However, a trial is possible if the insurance company denies your claim or does not offer a fair settlement.
Filing a civil personal injury claim is complex, and a lawyer is an essential component of adhering to court procedures and gathering evidence. Personal injury litigation is best left to an experienced lawyer.
Things To Consider When Hiring A Personal Injury Attorney
If you believe you have a viable personal injury case, it is essential to know what to look for when hiring a personal injury attorney. It is a good idea to do your research and set up appointments with a few lawyers before deciding. While each person has different preferences, consider choosing an attorney with the following qualities:
- Understanding of complex medical concepts
- Experience with personal injury cases
- Connections within the medical community
- Proven track record of success
- Empathy for your situation
Ultimately, you should choose a lawyer you think will best represent you. You want someone who understands your case and will get you the compensation you need.
Get Legal Assistance
If you suffered an injury in an accident in East Rochester, New York, and you need legal assistance, the team at Cellino Law is ready to help you with your claim. We can help you get the appropriate compensation, including medical expenses, pain and suffering, and lost wages. We understand the financial and emotional burdens that often come with personal injuries, and we will work to get you the money you need. Contact us today to set up a no-obligation appointment.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- I just want to let you know that I did receive my settlement check. More importantly, I want to thank you again for all you did for both me and my family. I could not be more pleased with my experience at Cellino Law. From the moment I first spoke with you I felt comfortable - you took a sincere interest in my case, clearly explained the process and effected a quick settlement. From this day forward, when someone asks if I can recommend a good lawyer I will, without hesitation, say "Cellino Law". Thanks again.
- My experience during the time of negotiations was extremely positive. Josh Sandberg handled my lawsuit with the utmost integrity. He returned all my phone calls in a timely manner and answered all my questions. Josh made things less stressful. I would highly recommend Josh and the entire staff at Cellino Law.
- It was a great pleasure working with you on my lawsuit. You certainly gave 150% of your time and interest in settling my case and for that, I am extremely grateful. Therefore, I want to thank you very much for helping me win my settlement and wish you the very best.
- This letter is to thank Ms. Diane D’Andrea, assistant to Mr. George Gridelli, Attny for all the hard work, dedication, and attentiveness she showed during the representation of my case. She was always cheerful and ready to help in whatever way she could. All messages left for Mr. Gridelli were always relayed and Mr. Gridelli always promptly returned our calls. She was a very competent assistant. Cellino Law has proven to be a model of what legal representation should be. Throughout the 6 ½ years of this case, I have heard many horror stories from people with “bad lawyer stories.” We consider ourselves to be very lucky to have chosen Cellino Law and will always recommend you to those looking for good, honest representation with a personal touch.
- Thank you for your help in settling the case of my father's accident. I could always count on you to answer my questions honestly and in terms I could understand. If all lawyers at Cellino Law are like you, I understand why they are an A-1 law firm.
- Choosing the right attorney to represent you after an accident can make all the difference. This is no cliche. I recently experienced these words to live by first hand. After a tractor trailer rear ended me at high speed in 2017 I retained Allan Silverstein to handle my case. I quickly realized that bringing a lawsuit rapidly snowballs into a mountain of details that can make or break your results. Documents, case histories, doctor visits, bills, and lots of phone calls all need to be accurately kept track of if a successful outcome it to be attained. To complicate matters I reside in New York and the incident took place in New Jersey. Luckily, Allan was licensed in multiple states. I was fortunate to find Allan to handle this matter from the New York area. Armed with an accurate account of the facts Allan went to work on the difficult job of negotiating with the defending insurance company as well as my no fault carrier in order to obtain the best possible outcome for my set of circumstances. In a lawsuit communication is key and and events can be of a timely nature. Allan never failed to return my calls - usually the same day! He fought skillfully and respectfully to get me the best possible settlement. He is easy to deal with and a likeable down to earth guy. He always listened with compassion and respect to my issues. He guided me with objective understanding as well as a realistic analysis of the merits of my case. When we finally settled Allan got me a fair agreement beyond my expectations and negotiated with my doctors to make sure all my bills were paid. It was a great experience having Allan represent me. Quality work in any aspect of life is hard to find. Quality is what I got with Allan Silverstein. I highly recommend him if you find yourself in need of a personal injury attorney.