A Long Island hit-and-run driver accused of killing the father of famous music star Nicki Minaj was sued for $150 million. The mother of the star filed a lawsuit in Nassau Supreme Court against seventy-year-old Charles Polevich who is accused of crashing into Robert Maraj on February 12. Polevich fled the accident scene.
Now, he is facing charges for escaping the accident scene and tampering with evidence for the Mineola accident.
Surveillance video from the scene shows that Polevich got out of his Volvo, went to Maraj, asked him if he “was OK” and then went back into his vehicle and drove off. He did not attempt to help Maraj and left him to die on the street.
When the Long Island hit-and-run driver got home, not too far from the accident scene, he hid his car in the garage and covered the vehicle with a tarp.
Maraj was either walking home or was going to a local store. The man was found on the sidewalks covered in snow. Maraj died on the same day in the hospital.
Escaping the accident scene is a criminal act and can lead to severe penalties and prison time. Even if you caused the accident and you know you are at fault, it is best to stay at the scene, offer help if there is anyone injured and call the police and the medics.
If you or your loved one were injured in a hit-and-run accident, do not hesitate to seek legal help from a car accident lawyer. These accidents are complex and challenging, especially if the police fails to find the suspect.
If you are looking for a New York car accident attorney, schedule your first free case evaluation at Cellino Law.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- My wife and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for a fantastic job as our attorney. We could not have been more pleased with the work you and your team has done on this case. This past four years or so has been such a roller coaster for our family. We are very pleased and grateful with the result. We have made a good choice by choosing you. Thank you.
- I am writing this letter to say how much I appreciate your services pertaining to my case. Your injury attorney took a hands-on approach and left me fully informed at all times as to where my case was going as well as how much ground we had to cover; leaving the final decisions in my hands but making sure that I knew all of the risks involved in the choices. I have dealt with a few law firms in my life on various different cases and this is the first time that I never had to call and/or track down my lawyer… because of this, I have and will continue to recommend Cellino Law to my friends and associates.
- This letter is to thank Ms. Diane D’Andrea, assistant to Mr. George Gridelli, Attny for all the hard work, dedication, and attentiveness she showed during the representation of my case. She was always cheerful and ready to help in whatever way she could. All messages left for Mr. Gridelli were always relayed and Mr. Gridelli always promptly returned our calls. She was a very competent assistant. Cellino Law has proven to be a model of what legal representation should be. Throughout the 6 ½ years of this case, I have heard many horror stories from people with “bad lawyer stories.” We consider ourselves to be very lucky to have chosen Cellino Law and will always recommend you to those looking for good, honest representation with a personal touch.
- We'd like to thank you for all the assistance and time you spent on our case. Your professionalism and honesty will always be appreciated. The staff was always courteous and we were always impressed with your accountability. Your passion and dedication will never be forgotten, nor will you.
- It was a great pleasure working with you on my lawsuit. You certainly gave 150% of your time and interest in settling my case and for that, I am extremely grateful. Therefore, I want to thank you very much for helping me win my settlement and wish you the very best.
- Thank you for your help in settling the case of my father's accident. I could always count on you to answer my questions honestly and in terms I could understand. If all lawyers at Cellino Law are like you, I understand why they are an A-1 law firm.