- Motorcycle accident injuries can cause brain damage that leads to memory loss, concentration issues, and problems with communication
- Paralysis from spinal cord injuries can make it hard for someone to walk, run, engage in physical activities, ride a motorcycle, or use their arms
- Burn injuries from motorcycle accidents can increase the risk of cancer, cardiovascular disorders, and other medical conditions
- Motorcycle accident injuries can have a psychological effect, causing someone to suffer from anxiety, depression, and fear
During a motorcycle accident, a victim can suffer from physical trauma due to a direct blow from a motor vehicle or heavy object or from falling to the ground. This can expose them to severe impact that can damage the bones, muscles, tendons, and ligaments, exposing them to motorcycle accident injuries.
These injuries, such as traumatic brain, spinal cord, and burn injuries, can affect a person’s health long-term. They can suffer from symptoms of these injuries, including intense pain, paralysis, and restricted bodily functioning, for months and even years after the motorcycle accident. Victims can also suffer psychological trauma that leads to non-economic damages.
How Can Brain Damage from Motorcycle Accident Injuries Affect People Long-Term?
Motorcycle accidents can result in injuries that can affect a person’s health long-term. One such injury is a traumatic brain injury (TBI), which can result from blunt-force trauma to the head. The brain can sustain damage that can lead to intense headaches, blurry vision, seizures, nausea, slurred speech, and sleeping problems.
The long-term effects TBIs can have on a motorcycle accident victim have to do with how the damage to the brain can affect its functionality. Head trauma can damage nerve cells in the brain that can affect messages the brain transmits throughout the body.
This can lead to long-term negative health effects, such as memory loss, trouble retaining new information, issues with focus, and problems with solving problems. Motorcyclists should wear helmets to help protect themselves from head trauma that can lead to a TBI that affects their health long-term.
The Long-Term Effect of Paralysis from Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Damage to the back during a motorcycle accident can cause a spinal cord injury. The spinal nerves and vertebrae can sustain damage that can injure the spinal cord. This type of motorcycle accident injury can lead to symptoms like sharp pain, loss of bowel or bladder control, reduced range of motion, and muscle spasms.
It can also cause paralysis, which is when someone can no longer use their arms and legs. Without the ability to use their arms or legs for a period of time, someone can experience a reduced quality of life. They will not be able to engage in physical activities or everyday tasks, leading to them needing constant assistance just to get through the day.
How Can Burn Injuries from Motorcycle Accidents Affect Someone?
Motorcycle accidents can also cause burn injuries that result in long-term health complications. Burn injuries during a motorcycle accident can result from road rash, exposure to heated metals or explosions, and dangerous chemical leaks. While a motorcycle accident victim may only experience a minor burn, some others can suffer from third or fourth-degree burns.
Some long-term effects of a severe burn injury can include an increased risk of cancer, nervous system disorders, and diabetes. These can all affect your health for the rest of your life, possibly exposing you to wrongful death. Motorcycle accident victims who suffer burn injuries should seek immediate medical attention to prevent future health complications.
Motorcycle Accident Injuries Can Lead to Negative Long-Term Psychological Effects
Victims of motorcycle accidents can also sustain psychological effects that can affect them throughout their lives. The trauma of the accident can reverberate, leading to fear, anxiety, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). They can have nightmares and terrifying visions of their motorcycle accident.
The psychological impact of the motorcycle accident can also make someone not want to get on a motorcycle again, taking away something they cherished. A motorcycle accident can affect someone’s mental health and how they relate to other people, possibly leading to non-economic damages like loss of consortium, mental anguish, and pain and suffering.
Contact Cellino Law for Help With Your Motorcycle Accident Claim
The motorcycle accident lawyers at Cellino Law have decades of experience helping victims recover compensation for motorcycle accident damages. We understand how motorcycle accident injuries can affect someone’s physical and mental health and wish to help them through the process of filing a civil claim.
Our motorcycle accident attorneys can assist you in assessing damages, determining liability, and negotiating a fair settlement with the at-fault party’s insurance provider. Contact us for a free motorcycle accident consultation by calling us at 888-888-8888 or leaving a message on our online contact page.
Frequently Asked Questions About Motorcycle Accidents
What Economic Damages Can Result from Motorcycle Accident Injuries?
Motorcycle accident injuries can lead to economic damages. These financial losses have a specific monetary value or bill attached to them. Motorcycle accident victims can file civil claims to pursue compensation for these damages.
One typical economic damage caused by motorcycle accidents is medical bills, the medical costs incurred to treat injuries. These include hospitalization, ambulatory, surgical, medication, and physical therapy costs.
Motorcycle accident victims can also pursue compensation for wage-based damages, such as lost wages or lost earning potential. Lost wages are the compensation from work you will not receive because you have to take time off work to heal. Lost earning potential reflects the lifetime career wages you cannot make due to the impact of your motorcycle accident injuries.
What Should You Do After Suffering a Motorcycle Accident Injury?
Following a motorcycle accident, there are many steps to take to help heal from motorcycle accident injuries and recover compensation for damages. Victims of motorcycle accident injuries can take steps to collect evidence, receive medical treatment, and begin the motorcycle accident claim process.
The following are some steps to take after suffering motorcycle accident injuries:
- Collect evidence at the scene of the motorcycle accident
- Exchange contact information with the at-fault party and witnesses
- File a police report for a serious motorcycle accident
- Go to the hospital to receive medical attention
- Write down every important detail you remember from the motorcycle accident
- Contact your insurance provider
- Collect important documentation
- Hire a motorcycle accident lawyer
Should You Hire a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer to Help With Your Claim?
After suffering motorcycle accident injuries, you could file a motorcycle accident claim with the at-fault party’s insurance company to pursue compensation for damages. Hiring a lawyer with motorcycle accident claim experience can help put you in the best position to earn compensation for damages successfully.
They will bring with them years of experience and expertise gained through litigating other motorcycle accident claims. They have the knowledge you need to know to help with your claim. An experienced motorcycle accident attorney can help you calculate the value of your claim, determine who caused the accident, collect evidence, and negotiate a fair settlement.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- Joe and I just wanted to send you this note thanking you for the professional way you handled our lawsuit. Your kindness was extremely appreciated in a very difficult time. When we found out the people that caused the accident had no insurance, we thought our chances of receiving any settlement was nonexistent. Once we met with you and released you were able to help us our minds were put at ease. Your aggressive manner of handling the case exceeded our expectations. Please feel free to use us as a reference. Thank you so much and best wishes,
Danielle and Joe
- It was a great pleasure working with you on my lawsuit. You certainly gave 150% of your time and interest in settling my case and for that, I am extremely grateful. Therefore, I want to thank you very much for helping me win my settlement and wish you the very best.
- I am writing this letter to say how much I appreciate your services pertaining to my case. Your injury attorney took a hands-on approach and left me fully informed at all times as to where my case was going as well as how much ground we had to cover; leaving the final decisions in my hands but making sure that I knew all of the risks involved in the choices. I have dealt with a few law firms in my life on various different cases and this is the first time that I never had to call and/or track down my lawyer… because of this, I have and will continue to recommend Cellino Law to my friends and associates.
- Thank you for your efforts on my behalf. I am very pleased (and surprised) at the amount of the settlement. We will use the funds to help pay down the debt on the truck we had to purchase after ours was totaled. Thank you again.
- Thank you for all your help. It has been a long journey. At last, the light at the end of the tunnel. Also, thank Tom for the help and work he put in.
- Choosing the right attorney to represent you after an accident can make all the difference. This is no cliche. I recently experienced these words to live by first hand. After a tractor trailer rear ended me at high speed in 2017 I retained Allan Silverstein to handle my case. I quickly realized that bringing a lawsuit rapidly snowballs into a mountain of details that can make or break your results. Documents, case histories, doctor visits, bills, and lots of phone calls all need to be accurately kept track of if a successful outcome it to be attained. To complicate matters I reside in New York and the incident took place in New Jersey. Luckily, Allan was licensed in multiple states. I was fortunate to find Allan to handle this matter from the New York area. Armed with an accurate account of the facts Allan went to work on the difficult job of negotiating with the defending insurance company as well as my no fault carrier in order to obtain the best possible outcome for my set of circumstances. In a lawsuit communication is key and and events can be of a timely nature. Allan never failed to return my calls - usually the same day! He fought skillfully and respectfully to get me the best possible settlement. He is easy to deal with and a likeable down to earth guy. He always listened with compassion and respect to my issues. He guided me with objective understanding as well as a realistic analysis of the merits of my case. When we finally settled Allan got me a fair agreement beyond my expectations and negotiated with my doctors to make sure all my bills were paid. It was a great experience having Allan represent me. Quality work in any aspect of life is hard to find. Quality is what I got with Allan Silverstein. I highly recommend him if you find yourself in need of a personal injury attorney.