Every day in NYC, thousands of people ride the subway to get around. Generally, the subway is a safe and reliable mode of transportation, but it is possible for an accident to happen when negligence occurs. Anyone involved in these accidents can suffer from serious physical, emotional and financial losses as a result.
Causes of Subway Accidents in NYC
Thousands of residents are injured or killed in subway accidents every year in New York. However, many people don’t think of the hazards that exist while riding the NYC MTA subways. Some causes of subway accidents include:
- Poor maintenance of subway platforms
- Slippery floors and stairs
- Debris on the platforms and steps
- Subway derailments
What to Do After A Subway Accident
If you were injured on the subway, it’s critical that you report the accident immediately like you would with any other type of personal injury accident. If possible, take photos of the scene where the accident occurred and collect contact information from any witnesses.
It’s important to seek medical attention after the accident, even if you do not initially feel hurt. Some injuries like soft tissue damage, whiplash, sprains, or head and back injuries may not immediately present and can be used by the NYCTA’s or MTA’s insurance company to deny your claim.
Statute of Limitations for NYC Subway Accident Injury Claims
The deadline for filing a claim against the NYCTA, is 90 days from the date of the accident. Failure to file a notice of claim within that time frame will mean that your claim against the NYCTA will be denied, regardless of your injuries.
Once you file a notice of claim and have had a hearing with the transit authority, you will have a year and 90 days to file a lawsuit with the NYCTA. If you miss that deadline, you will not be eligible to file a lawsuit.
How a NYC Subway Accident Lawyer Can Help
While you may have the right to seek financial compensation from the NYCTA after an injury, the process of filing a claim can be complex. Hiring a subway injury attorney can help you to navigate the stressful process of filing a claim with a government agency.
Even if you may not know what your claim is worth, an experienced NYC subway attorney will fight all liable parties to ensure you are properly compensated for your losses as a result of the accident. If you’ve been injured on the subway, don’t wait to contact an attorney. Our team of subway accident attorneys are here to answer your questions about filing a claim against the MTA or NYCTA 24/7 at 800-555-5555.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- Cellino Law is an amazing firm with a great team. I worked with Greg Pajak and his assistant, Tracey Falconer. I cannot express enough how dedicated they are. The personal attention I received was excellent; they were always available to help with questions and concerns and put me at ease in the unknown territory I found myself in. I highly recommend them to anyone needing representation. A huge thank you to them for all they accomplished for me!
- I am writing to let you know what an outstanding job George Gridelli did for me in my personal injury lawsuit. His professionalism and expertise were evident at our first metting and he and his paralegal Diane D'Andrea took care of me as if I was a friend and not merely a client. They both went above and beyond for me in so many ways that it would be too numerous to list and I am grateful to have had such an exemplary team represent me. When working with George and watching him in court he personified to me what a lawyer is supposed to be - an honest, extremely compentent man who helped guide me through the legal system. I could not have obtained better representation anywhere else at any price. To me that says a lot abut you and your firm's integrity. Thank you again for representing me and for having such stellar individuals working for you! I will continue to recommend your firm.
- Cellino Law and more specifically my attorney, Gregory V. Pajak, Managing Attorney, and as a whole the Cellino Law Firm and its organization. This is by far one of the most professional law firms and attorney I have ever engaged with and retained in my 35 years. The level of professionalism goes beyond words, the care and constant engagement with me as the client was touching. I was never ever just treated as simply a CASE with potentially a significant dollar number attached to my file. I was engaged regularly, Tracey (Ass’t) and Greg always made sure to remain constant, as well as consistent in overseeing that my case was handled properly and that it did matter in many ways - ensuring that the end result(s) would be fair and reasonable to my case/injury. The regular follow-up calls were very satisfying, knowing that you’re involved in your case matters significantly AND always. One of my main items to recognize Cellino Law and Gregory is that whenever I called, I was able to get through to speak directly to my Lawyer and he would answer any if not all of my questions in a very professional and genuinely caring manner. I always felt cared for and protected legally and more importantly, I was made feel as a human being that was being cared for and always keeping me abreast of all matters connected to the case. There was never a point I felt let down, on the contrary -the level of service was “STELLAR”. Greg is the consummate professional, a ‘role model’, if you will, for what other attorneys should strive to become when dealing with their clients.
- My wife and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for a fantastic job as our attorney. We could not have been more pleased with the work you and your team has done on this case. This past four years or so has been such a roller coaster for our family. We are very pleased and grateful with the result. We have made a good choice by choosing you. Thank you.
- Thank you for all your help. It has been a long journey. At last, the light at the end of the tunnel. Also, thank Tom for the help and work he put in.
- Choosing the right attorney to represent you after an accident can make all the difference. This is no cliche. I recently experienced these words to live by first hand. After a tractor trailer rear ended me at high speed in 2017 I retained Allan Silverstein to handle my case. I quickly realized that bringing a lawsuit rapidly snowballs into a mountain of details that can make or break your results. Documents, case histories, doctor visits, bills, and lots of phone calls all need to be accurately kept track of if a successful outcome it to be attained. To complicate matters I reside in New York and the incident took place in New Jersey. Luckily, Allan was licensed in multiple states. I was fortunate to find Allan to handle this matter from the New York area. Armed with an accurate account of the facts Allan went to work on the difficult job of negotiating with the defending insurance company as well as my no fault carrier in order to obtain the best possible outcome for my set of circumstances. In a lawsuit communication is key and and events can be of a timely nature. Allan never failed to return my calls - usually the same day! He fought skillfully and respectfully to get me the best possible settlement. He is easy to deal with and a likeable down to earth guy. He always listened with compassion and respect to my issues. He guided me with objective understanding as well as a realistic analysis of the merits of my case. When we finally settled Allan got me a fair agreement beyond my expectations and negotiated with my doctors to make sure all my bills were paid. It was a great experience having Allan represent me. Quality work in any aspect of life is hard to find. Quality is what I got with Allan Silverstein. I highly recommend him if you find yourself in need of a personal injury attorney.