Let’s say you are with the family on a trip to the Montauk Point Lighthouse Museum when a distracted driver rear-ends you on Edgemere Street. Your son suffered whiplash, you experienced a severe knee injury, and the back of your car has significant property damage. You might wonder what your options are to pay for the damages caused by the at-fault party’s negligence.
You could file a car accident claim with the at-fault party’s insurance company to pay for the damages not covered by your insurance. An experienced Long Island car accident lawyer can help you file your car accident claim, assess the cost of your damages, collect evidence, and negotiate a fair settlement.
Hiring a Long Island car accident attorney is your best chance to recover fair compensation to pay for your family’s economic and non-economic damages.
Common Causes of Long Island Car Accidents
A Long Island car accident commonly results from another driver’s negligent or reckless driving behavior. Long Island is one of the most dangerous places to drive in New York. Nassau and Suffolk counties, both of which Long Island is a part of, ranked in the top three for car accident fatalities in 2020. Route 25 and 27 in Long Island also ranked as some of the most deadly roads in New York over a five-year period.
Drivers must stay aware of their surroundings, follow the road rules, and ensure other drivers’ safety. However, that is not always the case, and some drivers engage in negligent and reckless driving that can expose them and other drivers to significant health risks.
The following are some negligent driving behaviors that can cause Long Island car accidents:
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
- Driving while fatigued
- Running red lights
- Failing to yield the right-of-way
- Disobeying roads rules
- Failing to use turn signals
- Intentionally reckless driving
Car accidents can also result from poor vehicle maintenance, defective car parts, and improperly maintained roads. If another party is at-fault for your car accident, you could file a car accident claim to hold them accountable for your damages.
What Should You Do After a Long Island Car Accident?
Following a car accident, there are many steps that a car accident victim should take. Car accident victims are in the complicated situation of having to worry about their physical health and ability to file a car accident claim. Failing to complete some steps can hurt your ability to pursue compensation, so it’s vital that car accident victims have proper guidance from a Long Island car accident lawyer to advise them on the best steps to take.
The following are some steps you take after a Long Island car accident:
- Check yourself for severe injuries
- Move to a safe location
- File a police report if the car accident is severe
- Exchange contact information with those involved and witnesses
- Collect evidence at the car accident scene
- Receive medical attention
- Contact an experienced Long Island car accident lawyer
- File a Long Island car accident claim
How Can a Long Island Car Accident Help You Recover Compensatory Damages?
A Long Island car accident lawyer can help you pursue compensatory damages caused by the at-fault party’s negligence. They will likely have vast experience handling car accident claims in Long Island and can apply their experience to your case.
The following are some ways a Long Island car accident lawyer can help with your claim:
- Calculate the value of your car accident claim
- Determine the at-fault party
- Explain New York car accident laws that can affect your case
- Gather tangible car accident evidence
- Speak to eyewitnesses and expert witnesses
- Negotiate a car accident settlement with the at-fault party’s insurance company
- Represent you in court
Most personal injury lawyers offer free consultations to allow potential clients to see how the firm’s lawyers can help with their cases. Take advantage of this and speak to as many car accident lawyers as you can to get a feel for who can help you the most. Hiring a car accident lawyer soon after your accident gives you a trusted advisor in your corner through the whole process that can help as you pursue compensation for damages.
What Qualities Does a Good Long Island Car Accident Lawyer Have?
You should ensure that you hire the best Long Island car accident lawyer that you can. To do this, you should research before going in for a free consultation. Research reviews and testimonials about the law firm and see if you can find any information about your lawyer.
When looking for a Long Island car accident lawyer, you must hire someone trustworthy. During your research and free consultation, ensure you find as much information as possible. Ask them about their experience, why they became a car accident lawyer, how they will handle your case, what they know about Long Island car accident lawyers, and what they can do to separate themselves from other car accident lawyers.
How Long Does a Long Island Car Accident Victim Have to File a Claim?
When you should hire a Long Accident car accident lawyer has to do with the statute of limitations for car accident claims in New York. The statute of limitations is how long a personal injury victim has to file a claim before they lose the ability to pursue compensation for damages.
The New York statute of limitations for car accident claims is three years from the car accident date. If you were involved in a Long Island car accident, you should hire a car accident lawyer before the statute of limitations runs out, so you can put yourself in a position to recover fair compensatory damages.
What Damages Can a Long Island Car Accident Lawyer Help You Pursue?
Car accident damages are the economic and non-economic losses you suffer from a car accident caused by another party’s negligence. Economic damages are financial losses that reflect the monetary cost of medical recovery, car repairs, and lost wages.
Non-economic damages are intangible losses related to how the car accident affected your quality of life. An experienced Long Island car accident attorney can help you calculate the full cost of your economic and non-economic damages to ensure you recover fair compensation to pay for your losses.
The following are some damages you could pursue in a Long Island car accident claim:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Lost earning potential
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Property damage
- Mental anguish
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of society
- Loss of parental services
- Funeral and burial costs
Contact Cellino Law for Help With Your Long Island Car Accident Claim
At Cellino Law, our Long Island car accident lawyers have decades of experience earning fair compensation for our clients. Our law firm has a proven track record of getting results, netting over $2 billion in settlements. Our car accident lawyers have experience negotiating settlements with insurance companies and taking cases to trial.
However your Long Island car accident claim develops, our car accident lawyers will have experience, expertise, and resources to help you recover fair compensation for your damages. Contact Cellino Law today for a free car accident consultation by calling us at 800-555-5555 or leaving a message on our online contact page.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- Mark Kochanowicz is from far the best attorney you can have. Mark treats you like a friend more than a client. He truly cares and go the extra mile for you and your case, contacts you to update you in regards to your case and keep you informed at all times. Mark represented me twice and settled my cases for way more than I expected. I highly recommend Mark Kochanowicz because he is just the best on what he does!!! Thank you Mark!!!!
- I highly recommend Cellino Law to anyone involved in a car crash. I worked with Michael Lovecchio, and had a wonderful experience given the circumstances. He was very attentive, and got the best possible outcome I could have wanted.
- Joe and I just wanted to send you this note thanking you for the professional way you handled our lawsuit. Your kindness was extremely appreciated in a very difficult time. When we found out the people that caused the accident had no insurance, we thought our chances of receiving any settlement was nonexistent. Once we met with you and released you were able to help us our minds were put at ease. Your aggressive manner of handling the case exceeded our expectations. Please feel free to use us as a reference. Thank you so much and best wishes,
Danielle and Joe
- I can only say great things about my attorney Allan Silverstein. He is professional, he calls back right away, he keeps me informed, and makes me feel comfortable as this entire ordeal is stressful. I have total confidence in his ability to handle whatever comes his way. He is no nonsense and very good at his job. Thank you Allan... he is a true asset to the team!
- Now that reality has set in, I want to thank you for all your work and assistance in obtaining my settlement for the pelvic mesh. This money will make my life so much easier in the future. Medicare just isn't sufficient. I know that I will have enough to live on. I truly appreciate of your efforts. Thank you!
- It was a great pleasure working with you on my lawsuit. You certainly gave 150% of your time and interest in settling my case and for that, I am extremely grateful. Therefore, I want to thank you very much for helping me win my settlement and wish you the very best.