- Bicyclists are vulnerable to devastating injuries on New York roads when drivers act negligently.
- Fatigue and alcohol can impair drivers, putting New York bicyclists at a greater risk of injury or fatality.
- Reckless driving habits, such as speeding, sudden lane changes, and aggressive behavior, pose a considerable risk to bicyclists.
- Distracted driving interferes with a motorist’s ability to avoid a New York bicycle accident.
- Slippery and uneven roads can destabilize New York cyclists and inflict catastrophic injuries, emphasizing the need for safe cycling infrastructure.
Bicyclists have the same rights to the road as drivers and motorcyclists and are subject to the same traffic laws. However, reckless motorists can effectively limit bicyclists’ ability to share the road safely. Riders can sustain life-altering injuries in a New York bicycle accident that render them unable to work, burden them with medical expenses, and reduce their quality of life.
The New York bicycle accident attorneys of Cellino Law are accomplished negotiators who will unapologetically advocate for your right to seek compensation for damages resulting from another party’s negligence. Our skilled team can assist you in scheduling a free consultation when you give us a call at (888) 888-8888 or fill out our online contact form.
Driver Impairment is a Factor in New York Bicycle Accidents
Any condition that interferes with a driver’s ability to make sound judgments, visually identify obstacles, or physically maneuver a vehicle can endanger bicyclists. Drunk driving impacts all three skills. Research has shown that drowsy driving can be just as incapacitating.
Impaired drivers are a threat to bicyclists because they are significantly less likely to successfully anticipate or notice a bicyclist in their path, determine the best way to react, and execute that adjustment. Too often, the bicyclist is permanently injured in these situations.
New York Bicycle Accidents Can Be a Consequence of Drivers’ Careless Maneuvering
Drivers who are sober and attentive may jeopardize bicyclists’ safety by acting recklessly. This can be motivated by impatience, frustration, or a lack of regard for other road users. One of the most common -and most dangerous- examples of a risky driving habit is speeding. Drivers who speed allow themselves less time to react and less space to stop to avoid a New York bicycle accident.
A New York driver who is operating recklessly may injure a bicyclist by:
- Making sudden lane changes or turns
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Trying to swerve around the bicyclist
- Traveling too close to a bicyclist
- Behaving aggressively
Distracted Driving Endangers New York Bicyclists
Bicyclists are already smaller in stature than the average passenger vehicle, making them easy to overlook. When a driver is distracted, the risk of a New York bicycle accident can increase exponentially. The most common examples of distracted driving behaviors include:
- Texting while driving
- Adjusting the music or navigation system
- Talking on the phone
- Reaching for an item that fell
- Conversations with passengers
Distracted drivers are more prone to mistakes like missing a bicyclist in their blind spot, drifting into the bike lane, or turning in front of a bicyclist crossing the street.
Dangerous Road Conditions Leave New York Bicyclists Vulnerable to Injury
By design, bicycles are more agile than cars. The tradeoff is that they are significantly less stable and less capable of absorbing an impact. This can become dangerous when roads are slick with ice, riddled with potholes, or otherwise damaged. If a bicyclist tips over, is forced to swerve or loses control of their bike, they can sustain serious injuries from running into curbs, signs, or vehicles.
Bicyclists’ safety has become a greater priority in recent years. In New York City, the local government has implemented the Vision Zero philosophy to reduce traffic fatalities through a multifaceted approach. One of their initiatives has been to massively expand bike lanes to give cyclists a designated space to ride, limiting the risk of injury from dangerous road conditions.
New Yorkers Trust Cellino Law to Represent Their Interests
At Cellino Law, we know that trust is earned. Our team has excelled at gaining the respect of injured New Yorkers for the past six decades based on our unwavering work ethic, detail-oriented approach, and ability to secure fair settlements. You can rely on our bicycle accident lawyers to invest the time and effort your New York personal injury claim deserves.
Contact Cellino Law For Help With Filing Your New York Bicycle Accident Lawsuit
The bicycle accident attorneys of Cellino Law make it a habit to be accessible to our clients because we believe that you deserve the best we have to offer. As your New York personal injury lawyers, we will champion your claim until we reach a fair settlement, even if that means we must take your bicycle accident lawsuit to trial to obtain a satisfactory outcome.
Don’t hesitate to give us a call at (888) 888-8888 or complete our online contact form to schedule a free consultation with one of our expert bicycle accident attorneys. Our team welcomes the opportunity to discuss your New York bicycle accident lawsuit in greater detail so we can provide you with a clearer picture of your next steps.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does New York require bicyclists to wear helmets?
Bicyclists under 14 are required to wear bicycle helmets in New York. Helmets must meet safety standards. The bicycle helmet law also stipulates that if a child under 14 is riding without a helmet, their parents can be subject to a fine. Certain counties have additional rules about bicycle helmets that may apply to adults, so you should check local laws before riding in a new area.
Has Vision Zero helped reduce bicycle accidents in New York?
Most New York City public officials agree that Vision Zero has made some progress since 2014, although it has also exposed areas for improvement. In 2022, the number of bicyclist fatalities decreased for the third year in a row, with only 17 cyclist deaths that year. While this data is encouraging, New York bicycle accident statistics show that Vision Zero is not an unmitigated success.
What is the burden of proof in a New York bicycle accident claim?
To recover compensation, a bicycle accident plaintiff must meet the evidentiary standard for a personal injury claim. This is known as the burden of proof. As the injured party, it is their responsibility to provide enough evidence of the defendant’s liability and damages. Fact-finders must be convinced that the plaintiff’s case more likely than not deserves compensation.
Content checked by the personal injury attorney Ross Cellino. As a family man and a trial attorney, I pride myself on winning cases and serving the community. With over 35 years of experience, I understand the function of a jury, how juries arrive at conclusions, and the role that the jury plays in administering justice. I know how to win cases. You can find us in Manhattan, Buffalo, Melville, Rochester, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and other locations throughout New York.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- Cellino Law was a great company to work with. From the beginning they came out and met with my uncle and myself and assured us that everything would be taken care of from beginning to end our lawyer state and constant contact with us to make sure that everything would go smoothly and it did. I would definitely recommend anybody to go to Cellino Law for whatever help they need. And specifically please ask for the lawyer that we had Mr. Alan Silverstein. He was amazing and his staff was always attentive. Please go with them for your next law needs.
- Now that reality has set in, I want to thank you for all your work and assistance in obtaining my settlement for the pelvic mesh. This money will make my life so much easier in the future. Medicare just isn't sufficient. I know that I will have enough to live on. I truly appreciate of your efforts. Thank you!
- I want to thank your law firm for settling my lawsuit where others failed. You treated me with the utmost respect and care, because of your law firm the dream of owning my own home finally came true. For the first time in a long time, we're living out our dream home. Thank you a million times over. Thank you for making my dream come true.
- I am so grateful for your expertise, patience, and perseverance which resulted with such a successful settlement regarding my car accident. I also want to let you know how impressed I was with you and your firm and I won't hesitate to recommend you to anyone who needs assistance from an accident. I truly appreciated your care and professionalism. Thank you again for your kindness and support
- Thank you for your help in settling the case of my father's accident. I could always count on you to answer my questions honestly and in terms I could understand. If all lawyers at Cellino Law are like you, I understand why they are an A-1 law firm.
- Cellino Law and more specifically my attorney, Gregory V. Pajak, Managing Attorney, and as a whole the Cellino Law Firm and its organization. This is by far one of the most professional law firms and attorney I have ever engaged with and retained in my 35 years. The level of professionalism goes beyond words, the care and constant engagement with me as the client was touching. I was never ever just treated as simply a CASE with potentially a significant dollar number attached to my file. I was engaged regularly, Tracey (Ass’t) and Greg always made sure to remain constant, as well as consistent in overseeing that my case was handled properly and that it did matter in many ways - ensuring that the end result(s) would be fair and reasonable to my case/injury. The regular follow-up calls were very satisfying, knowing that you’re involved in your case matters significantly AND always. One of my main items to recognize Cellino Law and Gregory is that whenever I called, I was able to get through to speak directly to my Lawyer and he would answer any if not all of my questions in a very professional and genuinely caring manner. I always felt cared for and protected legally and more importantly, I was made feel as a human being that was being cared for and always keeping me abreast of all matters connected to the case. There was never a point I felt let down, on the contrary -the level of service was “STELLAR”. Greg is the consummate professional, a ‘role model’, if you will, for what other attorneys should strive to become when dealing with their clients.