When negligence causes injuries, finding yourself stuck with the medical bills can feel unfair. Even if your health insurance covers the bills, there is no justice in absorbing the consequences of someone else’s unethical behavior. Failure to hold the entity accountable can also lead to other persons later facing injuries for the same reasons.
Consequently, personal injury claims processes exist to help people hold negligent parties responsible. A successful conclusion to this process could result in compensation for the victims involved. It all starts with finding an experienced personal injury lawyer who can deliver results.
Understand the Types of Cases Personal Injury Lawyers Handle
When most people think of personal injury, physical harm comes to mind. However, some personal injury cases cover other types of harm. For example, some attorneys seek compensation for harm to reputation due to defamation. Others might pursue damages related to the violation of civil rights. Nevertheless, there are niche areas. Here are some of the most common examples of personal injury cases.
Car Crash Injuries
Car crashes happen every day. Almost all of them result in some property damage and a significant number of accidents cause injuries. If the other driver was at fault, you might have a personal injury case on your hands. These claims come down to proof of negligence, such as speeding or driving under the influence.
Truck collisions can be more complicated than car crashes because there are usually multiple liable parties. In addition to the driver or the insurance company, you might have a claim against the following entities:
- Trucking company
- Owner of the truck
- Manufacturer of the truck or its parts
- Mechanics who complete maintenance work on the truck
When a product defect causes injuries, the victim could file a personal injury claim against the manufacturer. For example, a power tool with a design flaw could injure someone who used it as intended. When defective products are drugs, firms might refer to these as dangerous drug cases.
Slip and Fall Injuries
If you slipped and fell on another person’s property, they might be liable if the fall caused injuries. Your attorney might need to prove the employer knew of the hazard and failed to take necessary action. Vendors, such as janitorial or security teams, could sometimes be held responsible.
When you get hurt at work, you might be able to file a personal injury claim against your employer. Your employer’s risk of liability increases if it does not provide a safe working environment or fails to train employees on how to perform their duties safely.
If you were the victim of medical malpractice, you might have a personal injury case on your hands. These claims are often complex and require expert testimony to succeed. For example, you might have a claim if a doctor failed to diagnose a cancerous tumor.
Know Where To Find Experienced Personal Injury Lawyers
Most people start their attorney search to find the best legal representation. Achieving this goal requires research, dedication and some luck. Here are some ways to increase your odds of finding a suitable match for your case.
Identify Your Priorities
What do you need most in a personal injury legal team? Identify your needs vs. your wants and rank them accordingly. You can then determine where to compromise and where to hold fast, even if everything else checks out.
Ask the People You Know
The most effective way to find an experienced personal injury lawyer is through referrals. Start by asking family, friends and colleagues for recommendations. Even if they don’t have a certain lawyer in mind, they might know someone who does.
Check Online Directories
You can also search online sources for attorney listings. These websites list attorneys by practice area and location. Some also provide ratings; others might only list the attorneys they believe excel most in their fields in a specific geographic region.
Look for Advertising
One way to find a personal injury attorney is to look for evidence of their marketing efforts. These attorneys often buy ad space in the local yellow pages or online. You can also find them on billboards, on buses and on the radio.
Review the Steps for Filing a Personal Injury Claim
Seeking medical attention as soon as possible can play a crucial role in the success of personal injury cases. When injured persons fail to take this step, the court could assign some responsibility for injuries or resulting complications. For example, if someone suffered a dog bite and chose not to seek medical care, he or she could face partial blame for subsequent infection. Here are some additional steps injured persons could consider.
Investigate the Case
If you plan to file a personal injury claim, you and your accident attorney need to conduct an in-depth investigation. This step is critical in helping your attorney build a strong case. For example, after a car accident, he or she might want to take pictures of the damage and collect contact information from people who witnessed the crash.
After investigating the case, your attorney must compile and organize the evidence. Evidence could include medical records, police reports, witness statements and more. The more proof you have, the higher your chances of success.
Once your attorney has gathered all of the evidence, he or she begins the process of calculating damages. This vital step determines how much money you could receive in a settlement or verdict.
Negotiate a Settlement
Negotiating a settlement is often the most cost-effective approach. It also provides the option of keeping details confidential, including the amount received as a settlement. If the other side is willing to negotiate, this could also negate the need to go to court.
File a Lawsuit
If negotiations fail, your lawyer will likely pursue a personal injury lawsuit on your behalf. He or she drafts and files the necessary paperwork. You may need to testify in court. Even after filing the suit and beginning trial, both parties can still settle privately.
Hire Cellino Law for Your Personal Injury Case
Our experienced personal injury lawyers have recovered more than $2 billion in compensation for our clients. We provide compassionate service and remain committed to securing the highest possible settlement. Contact us to get started.
WE CAN HELP
CALL US NOWFree Case Review
FREE CASE REVIEW
- My wife and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for a fantastic job as our attorney. We could not have been more pleased with the work you and your team has done on this case. This past four years or so has been such a roller coaster for our family. We are very pleased and grateful with the result. We have made a good choice by choosing you. Thank you.
- Thank you for all your help. It has been a long journey. At last, the light at the end of the tunnel. Also, thank Tom for the help and work he put in.
- I highly recommend Cellino Law to anyone involved in a car crash. I worked with Michael Lovecchio, and had a wonderful experience given the circumstances. He was very attentive, and got the best possible outcome I could have wanted.
- I just want to let you know that I did receive my settlement check. More importantly, I want to thank you again for all you did for both me and my family. I could not be more pleased with my experience at Cellino Law. From the moment I first spoke with you I felt comfortable - you took a sincere interest in my case, clearly explained the process and effected a quick settlement. From this day forward, when someone asks if I can recommend a good lawyer I will, without hesitation, say "Cellino Law". Thanks again.
- This letter is to thank Ms. Diane D’Andrea, assistant to Mr. George Gridelli, Attny for all the hard work, dedication, and attentiveness she showed during the representation of my case. She was always cheerful and ready to help in whatever way she could. All messages left for Mr. Gridelli were always relayed and Mr. Gridelli always promptly returned our calls. She was a very competent assistant. Cellino Law has proven to be a model of what legal representation should be. Throughout the 6 ½ years of this case, I have heard many horror stories from people with “bad lawyer stories.” We consider ourselves to be very lucky to have chosen Cellino Law and will always recommend you to those looking for good, honest representation with a personal touch.
- Cellino Law was a great company to work with. From the beginning they came out and met with my uncle and myself and assured us that everything would be taken care of from beginning to end our lawyer state and constant contact with us to make sure that everything would go smoothly and it did. I would definitely recommend anybody to go to Cellino Law for whatever help they need. And specifically please ask for the lawyer that we had Mr. Alan Silverstein. He was amazing and his staff was always attentive. Please go with them for your next law needs.