When you or a loved one is injured due to someone else’s fault in New York, you are entitled to compensation from the at-fault party. Most people think that they could handle the case on their own to save money in the process. But proving the negligence of the responsible party is crucial to obtaining maximum compensation for your injuries. That’s where a skilled Smithtown personal injury lawyer comes in handy.
There are many benefits of working with an experienced lawyer when you need to prove the negligence of the at-fault party to claim maximum compensation for your injuries. In fact, hiring a qualified lawyer isn’t a waste of money but an investment you are making to obtain the rightful damages for your condition. A good injury lawyer knows how to prepare your lawsuit and present it in such a way that the insurance company has no choice but to pay the maximum compensation possible.
When you are looking for a reputable injury firm in New York, you don’t have to look further than Cellino Law. We are a trusted name for all your personal injury lawsuit needs. Call (800) 555-5555 today to schedule a free consultation and learn how we can help you.
Table of Contents
What Should I Do After an Injury?
Knowing what to do after suffering an injury can be overwhelming. In fact, while you or your loved one is struggling to recover, you might be worried about filling out medical forms and police reports. Knowing where to start could be confusing. Here are some of the most important things you need to do after being injured in an accident:
- . The most important thing is to take medical treatment even if you think you are not seriously injured due to the accident. Keep all the medical records of all treatment in a safe place since your lawyer will need them.
- Call the police and report the accident. Get a police report describing the entire incident because it’s one of the best ways to prove the negligence of the at-fault party.
- Take photos of the scene and video it if you are in a position to do so.
- Get the other driver’s name, address, phone number, and insurance information.
- Collect the names and contact information of any witnesses to the accident. Your lawyer will need to interview the witnesses to prove the fault of the defendant.
- It’s important that you never admit fault to anyone including the insurance company without the consent of your personal injury lawyer.
- The most important thing is to call an experienced personal injury lawyer at Cellino Law immediately to handle your case and claim maximum compensation from the at-fault party.
Our lawyers are highly experienced in dealing with all types of injury cases including auto accidents in Smithtown, New York.
Why do I Need an Injury Lawyer?
Trying to handle your personal injury lawsuit by yourself isn’t the best thing to do if you need maximum compensation for your injuries. Personal injury is a highly specialized area of the law where you need a thorough understanding of the various torts and extensive experience in taking the case to trial if the insurance provider denies your rightful claim. A reliable personal injury lawyer at Cellino Law knows how to prepare your case and take it to trial if the insurance company tries to deny your rightful claim.
Our team is highly experienced in case preparation and filing injury lawsuits. We will negotiate with the defendant’s insurance company to obtain maximum compensation for your injuries. If the insurance company isn’t prepared to provide the maximum benefits for our clients, our lawyers won’t hesitate to take the case to trial and win you the maximum benefits in the process.
We have extensive trial experience in representing hundreds of injury clients in the past. We have won them millions of dollars in compensation by taking their cases to trial. That’s why you need to always rely on a personal injury lawyer at Cellino Law when you or your loved one is injured in an auto accident in Smithtown due to someone else’s fault.
What Type of Damages Can I Recover?
There are 2 main types of damages that an injured party can recover in NY – compensatory and punitive. Compensatory damages will pay for economic losses while punitive damages are designed to punish the defendant for his/her reckless behavior. They are meant to prevent drivers from driving under extreme conditions such as intoxication, excessive speed, and other serious risks. Here are some of the compensatory damages you can claim:
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Lost wages or loss of employment due to the injuries sustained during the accident
- Permanent disability
How is Liability Determined?
New York assigns liability depending on each person’s percentage of negligence in the accident. If the court assigns the victim a negligence percentage, his or her compensation will be reduced proportionately. There are four main elements to prove in a car accident case for the victim to obtain maximum benefits for his/her injuries.
- Duty of care – The defendant has a duty of care to protect the lives of other people who use the road network.
- Breach of duty of care – The victim needs to prove that the defendant breached his/her duty of care when the accident occurred.
- Causation – The accident was a direct result of the breach of duty of the defendant.
- Damages – The victim was injured as a result of the accident.
How Much Time Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Claim in New York?
The statute of limitations for injury cases in New York is three years. You have to file the case before the end of three years from the date of the accident to legally claim compensation for your injuries.
How Much Will a Smithtown Personal Injury Lawyer Cost?
Working with a reliable injury lawyer at Cellino Law costs you nothing. We work on a contingency fee basis where you need to pay for our services only if we win your case.
File Your Injury Claim With Cellino Law
If you are injured by an accident in Smithtown due to someone else’s fault, you need to file a personal injury lawsuit to claim maximum benefits from the at-fault party. Call a personal injury lawyer at Cellino Law right now at (800) 555-5555 to file your case and obtain maximum compensation for your injuries.