School buses aren’t immune to accidents. When they occur, parents worry about their child’s safety and well-being, but they also wonder who will be liable for the crash.
Determining liability is one of the most important things in an accident. There are several reasons for this. First of all school bus accidents can be incredibly costly. If another driver’s negligence puts the lives of tens of children in danger, they should pay for their reckless driving.
If the accident was caused by the school bus driver, they shouldn’t be allowed to continue driving again.
If your kid was involved in a school bus accident, you are probably worried and wonder about these things. Let a New York motor vehicle attorney help you with this.
School Bus Accidents in New York
Although these accidents don’t happen that frequently when they do, they can lead to serious injuries to many people. Sometimes these accidents even have fatalities. Given the fact that the majority of the passengers are children, things become even more complex.
Students who ride in school buses aren’t required to wear a seat belt, so the injuries can be quite severe compared to injuries of a victim who wears seat belts.
Your attorney can examine the details of the collision to determine who was at fault. They would look at factors such as the following:
- If the bus hit a pedestrian
- If the bus was involved in a one or multiple vehicle accident
- If there was a direct collision
- If the bus turned over on its side
- If there were any obstacles on the roadway
- If the bus driver was trained
- If the bus driver was impaired
- If the bus had been recently inspected or repaired
Potential Responsible Parties in NY School Bus Accidents
When the liable parties are clearly determined, you may be able to file a personal injury lawsuit against them (one or more parties).
- The school board district – they’re responsible for hiring drivers with solid training and experience. They should also fire negligent drivers who are known to abuse alcohol. If the school board district is found to be liable for the accident, they can be named in the lawsuit.
- The owner of the bus – this includes the State of New York or other government entities or private companies
- The bus driver – will be held to a higher standard of conduct than the average driver since they’re responsible for everyone on board. If the driver was negligent in any way that led to an accident, they can be named in a lawsuit.
- Manufacturer – manufacturers may be at fault if they release defective products on the market. When you’re injured by a defective product, you may file a claim against the manufacturer to collect.
- The company overseeing maintenance of the vehicle
- The New York City municipality in which the collision happened
- A negligent third party – you may be able to file a claim against аnother negligent driver that caused the bus to crash, which resulted in injuries.
Common Injuries That Result from School Bus Accidents
School buses don’t have safety equipment for the students and passengers on board. This is why if a school bus is involved in an accident, the passengers may end with severe injuries.
These are the most common injuries in such accidents:
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries
- Brain injuries
If your child was involved in a school bus accident in New York, make sure that they get medical help. Even if their injuries seem minor and as if they don’t need any treatment, they should at least get a medical examination.
If you file a compensation claim against the liable parties, the medical examination would be of great help. It will show that the injuries occurred in the accident.
Injured in an Accident Involving a School Bus? Contact Cellino Law Today!
It’s a smart choice to get legal advice from an auto accident or personal injury attorney who has experience with school bus accidents.
Allow them to review your case and guide you in the following steps. Although you may be able to do this on your own, having an attorney by your side could make things less complex.
Keep in mind that you can collect a settlement that would cover your medical expenses, but also the pain and suffering of your child.
Cellino Law team is here to review your case for free. Let our attorneys stand by your side and fight for your much-deserved settlement.